Chapter 10

We give the seamstress my plans for the dress and she asks if she could take my measurements.

“Yeah, sure. Whatever makes this as easy as possible.” I say.

“Okay dear, please go into the first room to the right with your friends and take off all your clothes except your under garments, we want to get an accurate measurement.”

We walk into the room she told us to go into and I begin to take off my clothes, “She’s such a cute old lady, I feel like she’s my grandma or something.” I say as I stand on the pedestal, waiting for the old woman to come in. When she does come in she has her measuring tape and a plate of cookies with a big smile on her face, “I brought you girls some cookies, I thought you’d like some.”

“Can you be my grandma?” Gena asks as she takes a cookie.

The old woman laughs, “I would love to be all you girl’s grandmother.” We all laugh and she comes and takes my measurements, “Well my dear you have the perfect body, I just wish that you’d eat a little more.”

I laugh, “I think you are my grandmother.”

“So what is this for?” She asks kindly.

“Oh my family does this thing, when a family member has found their soul mate the family throws a ball in celebration.”

“So like a wedding?”

“Not really, we celebrate many of the people finding their soul mates on the same day so it’s kinda like a celebration before the proposal, it’s like something that shows that the family notices your feelings for another person and approve.”

“That sounds like fun, when I met my husband my father did everything he could in his power to separate us,” She laughs a little, “Oh but my husband was a persistent little booger. He would come over every day to help with chores and tried so hard to get my father’s approval but nothing worked. Until the day my father died my husband tried his hardest to be accepted but one day we were cleaning out my father’s stuff from his house when we found a note he left. It simply stated that he approved of our love because if this man has tried to get approval for so long that it was okay for us to finally get married. Once we were married we were in our early forties and had one child. Now this child was extremely special, she was blessed by a demon.”

“I’m sorry to interrupt but anything to do with a demon doesn’t sound like a blessing.” Gena says.

“Oh but it was, she had straight A’s throughout school and she had this amazing gift for magic tricks, but to tell you the truth, they weren’t tricks. She had learned how to move things with air and how to make herself unseen. Then she met a man, all I remember was that he was extremely tall and very pale. She had told me that she was in love and that she was going to get married to him no matter what I said. I just told her that I supported her decisions because I knew she’d make the right ones. The last time I saw her, it was because she was giving birth to a lovely little girl, oh what was her name? Oh I believe it started with an A, well it’s been 17 years so I’m not surprised that I can’t remember.”

“Was it Anabelle?” Nina asks slowly and I stare at the old woman.

“Oh yes, yes it was. And the last thing I heard about my daughter was that she was murdered in a forest not too far from here. It’s a sad story, but I’m glad some young people will listen.” Nina, Gena, and I all look at each other for a second. “Well we’re done here; I’ll call you when you need to come in for fitting.”

“Thank you so much. I’ll see you later.” I say as I put on my clothes and hurry out the door with Nina and Gena.

“I have a grandmother.” I say.