Chapter 15

I heard the knock at the door first and I would be damned if I answered the thing before looking through that damned peep-hole this time.  I even opened the door with the chain-lock still in place to double-check who it was and asked for credentials.

Assured that no harm would come to me, I opened the door and allowed the man with the rack of clothing, in.  I indicated with my index over my mouth, to be quiet since Thomas was still sleeping.

"Give us a call when you're done ma'am.  Someone will be back to collect the rest," the man whispered and I nodded my thanks and saw him out.

I had on a pair of jeans and an off-the-shoulder top that hung loosely over a matching bra and underwear set.  They were the cheapest of all options available next to complete nakedness.  I wished I had make-up to cover the green bruise on my cheek but there wasn't much I could do about that for the time being.

I walked out of the bathroom, careful not to wake Thomas.  Making my way to the percolator to brew us some coffee, I heard a low whistle which made me jump, clasping my hand to my chest.  I gave him the stink-eye at his amused expression.

"Let me guess," he paused as he sat up.  I couldn't help but notice that his range of movement seemed better and he'd gained some color.  "The cheapest clothes on that rack, am I right?"

I didn't bother answering.  The sheepish look on my face was answer enough.  "Coffee?" I asked.

"Please."

"How do you feel?" I asked, my back still turned to him.  I felt him come up behind me and he dropped his chin on my shoulder, leaving his hands on my hips, a thumb rubbing on the bare skin that showed from under my shirt.  Heat rose in my core.

"Like I've been shot," he said and kissed my cheek.

Darkness found my thoughts.  "About that," I started and turned around, backing away as the percolator did its thing.  I needed distance.  He hadn't realized that his robe was open and that all he wore under were his underwear.  It was a little hard to carry on a serious conversation with him half-naked.  "I think I should leave town."

Thomas lips were set in a grim line.  He wasn't happy but after what happened yesterday, I knew I didn't have it in me to see something happen to him again.

"You're not leaving," Thomas said with finality.  I crossed my arms at my chest, attempting stubbornness.  "Not without me, you're not."  My brow arched.  "Don't even start on me getting hurt.  Who's to say he won't try and take me down even after you leave town?"

He took the few steps towards me and rubbed the sides of my arms in an up and down motion, his eyes never leaving mine.  He had a point and I knew it.  "You know you need me.  It's in the way you cling to me at night.  It's in your eyes when you look at me, your smile when I surprise you with doing something small like buying your favourite tea or hooking the worm onto your fishing line when I know you're capable.  There's a problem here and it's not Dominic.  And it's not about safety for either of us, Erica," he paused, watching my reaction to his words.  I just listened.  "I realized something yesterday when you ran off."  He swallowed hard and his eyes registered pain but not the physical kind.  "I need you, Erica.  Just like you need me, I need you.  I don't know for how long.  I don't know to what extent.  What I do know is that you're great.  Please stay.  If our friendship means anything at all, say you'll stay."

I knew it would be hard to leave him behind, from the first day he brought me to live on his ranch.  What I didn't know was that it was now impossible for me to do so after spending the last two weeks with him.  In that moment, I knew I couldn't go through with it.  I was stuck, for better or worse.

"I'll stay," I said.  "I'll stay with you," I added with more conviction.

"I don't want to have this conversation again."  He closed the distance between us.

"After what you've just said to me, I don't think I could leave, even if I wanted to."  I leaned into his body to give him a hug.

"Good," he said his voice muffled by my hair.  "Now that we have that settled, what's for breakfast?"