Chapter 24

As predicted, every one of Dominic's aliases turned up unused.  We'd been working on finding other leads as well as watching the airport video footage to see if the authorities had doctored or missed anything.

We had nothing.

"There's something we're missing here," I said as I sifted through paperwork.  "You knew him best by growing up with him.  I knew him as well.  Unless his entire life was a lie, it's impossible not to find him, Tom.  What if he used a name from his past like you did by using your mother's name for us?"

"Good point."

"Can we access the passenger flight manifests from every flight out on the day he was seen at the airport?"  I asked.

"I'll need to hack into their system but it's doable," he said and turned to his computer, typing like a madman.

My cellphone rang and I reached to answer it.

Unknown caller.  "Hello?"  Nothing.  "Hello?"

"You just won't die, will you?"  I dropped the phone but recovered it as Thomas' head snapped up to look at me.

"What do you want, Dom?" I said his name so Thomas knew who I spoke with.

"I think you know what I want, Erica.  I want my wife back.  I want to fuck her senseless before I slit her throat."  My blood ran cold.  "Better yet, I want to feel the life drain from you as I wrap my hands around your neck and squeeze away as I climax.  How does that sound, baby?"

"Like a delightful walk in the park, asshole," I said.

"You know I can find you no matter where you hide, right?"

"And you know that we have the means of finding you too.  I'm not letting you lay another hand on me.  The next time I see you, Dominic, it'll be either as I stand above your dead body or while you're stuck behind bars."

"Now listen here, you bitch-"

"Goodbye, Dominic."  I hung up.  The walls were closing in.  I dropped my phone onto Tom's desk and headed for the back door.

I burst through the doors and let out the loudest cry of anger and frustration before collapsing to the lounging sofa behind me.  I buried my face in my hands and tried to breathe the impending panic out but sobs took over instead.  Dread wormed its way into my body and settled.

A large and gentle hand landed on my shoulder and when I looked up, Thomas knelt on the ground in front of me.  I collapsed into him, my butt sliding off my seat as I straddled his thighs.

"You did good, E," he whispered.  "You did real good and stayed strong.  Look at me, sweetie."  I did as he requested.  He cupped my face and with the pad of his thumbs, he wiped at the tears.  "Nothing is going to happen to you.  I don't know what he told you on that call and it's your choice to tell me but if I can help it, he'll never lay a hand on you again."  That set off another bout of tears.  "You believe me, right?  Tell me you believe me, beautiful."  I nodded my head.  "Say it, Erica."

"I believe you, Thomas," I whispered between hiccups.

"I think we've worked enough for one day.  There are other things I'd rather talk about and do anyway," he said.  I nodded and snuggled into his shoulder and the crook of his neck as his arms wrapped around my back.  I wasn't crying anymore but my shaking had yet to slow down.  Thomas' rubbing hands warmed the ice that had formed in my veins.

I sighed, taking in the scent of his aftershave combined with his unique smell of man.  It reminded me that I was safe as long as he was around.  The weight that had been pressing down on my chest, making it near impossible to breathe had dissipated.  "How do you do that?" I whispered into his neck.