Chapter 8

I woke up, my nose pressed against something hard yet soft.  The smell of soap and sandalwood invaded my senses and I became aware that I was being held.  I smiled at the feeling and then I remembered where I was, who held me.

Careful not to wake him, I removed Thomas' arm from around my back and turned to leave the bed.  His hand took hold of my arm and pulled me back down.

"Don't leave me," he whispered.  The pleading in his sleepy voice shocked me.  Before I knew it, his lips brushed mine.  Then, he tucked my head under his chin and cuddled into my hair.

The soft and honest moment of the morning with Thomas made me forget.  I forgot about the state of my marriage, my troubling horrors, soaking the comfort and affection he offered.  He could never know how his words and actions affected me.

Not when I planned to leave.  And I knew I had to.  For his own safety.

Pushing my thoughts of leaving to the side, I settled in his warmth.  In two weeks, I would be gone with nothing but broken fingers and healing ribs to worry about.  Consumed by thoughts of the new life I was planning to build for myself, I dozed off.

The bed dipped when I woke next.  I found myself on my back, stretched out.

"I'm glad I didn't crowd you too much last night," Tom said, amused.

My hands flew up and covered my face and I groaned.  "I knew I should have gotten up when I woke earlier."

"You woke up earlier?" Thomas asked and I nodded.  "Why didn't you get up then?"

"Because some big oaf kept me in here," I blurted without thinking but then again, if he saw it fit to tease, why couldn't I?

"I what?"  I looked up to find him blushing.  "I'm sorry, E."

Changing the subject, I gestured toward the tray on the bedside table.  "What's this?"

"Breakfast."

"I could have come down, you know."

"It's a thank you," he said.

"For what?"

"For giving me the best night's sleep in years.  It's been better since I got back but-"

"Is that why you were on the couch the other night?" I asked.  He nodded, proving that he wasn't as indestructible as I had figured him to be.  "Do you want to talk about it?"  He shook his head.

He picked at a large bowl of berries and popped a raspberry in his mouth.  "Eat," he said.  "I was thinking we could go for a walk after, if you're up for it.  It looks like it might rain later so we might as well enjoy the outdoors while we can.  I've noticed you don't seem comfortable being indoors."

I shook my head.  "Sounds good."

He pulled out two forks from his back pocket and handed one to me before he settle across from me on the bed.

My eyes widened and he chuckled.  "I guess you've never shared breakfast in bed before, huh?"

My face heated as I shook my head.

***

Thomas had taken me on a nice easy hike through the woods.  The speed of the clouds in the horizon announced the impending rainfall.

"I think we should head back," he said as he threw a pebble into the creek.

He helped me stand and I felt the first spittle of rain on my cheek.

There was no escaping it.  The skies opened up.  We were drenched in seconds despite the canopy of the trees and half the distance left to cover.