Chapter 14

I wasn't sure what to do but the knowledge that Thomas was on his way into what could be a slaughter was more than enough for adrenaline to kick in and push back some of the panic that had taken hold.

I have to warn him.

When Dominic got close enough to grab me, I struck with as much strength as I could muster.  If I didn't do it now, there was no telling that I would be able to later.  I kicked hard at his left knee and when he collapsed, I pushed him to the side and scattered up to my feet.  My ribs hurt like hell with the force I had used but I ignored it.  I could lick my wounds when I was safe.

"Bitch!" he yelled and cocked his gun.

Thankful that the door to the room had been left open, I darted out as fast as I could, throwing myself to the ground and knowing that pain was imminent upon landing.  My quick thinking paid off as I the pistol was fired and a bullet wedged itself in the wall beside the exit.  I got up and ran.

When I reached the jeep, I remembered that my keys and other belongings were still in the hotel room.  It was a small sacrifice to pay for not going back in there.  I fled on foot, heading for the road.  Cursing the vast open space of the parking lot and the lack of obstacles to hide behind, I prayed that I had injured Dominic enough so he couldn't follow me.  The more distance I could put between me and the end of his gun, the better.

I was half-way up the driveway when a cloud of gravel dust kicked up and I was relieved when my eyes spotted Thomas' truck.  I ran to the passenger side, wide-eyed and panicked and jumped inside.  "Drive!"

It didn't take him long to hit the gas.  Thomas was forced to drive further up the driveway before being able to turn around.  My gut churned when I heard and felt the back window to the cab shatter.

"Are you okay?" Thomas asked.  I looked down, felt myself and nodded, unable to speak.

He drove like a bat out of hell and five minutes later, I realized that we were still in the middle of nowhere and the truck was slowing down.

"Are we out of gas?" I asked and turned to look at Thomas who was pale as a ghost.  "What?  What's the..."  My voice trailed and I paused to look at more than just Thomas' face.  "Oh my, God, you're shot!"

"It's nothing.  We have to keep going."

"Move over," I said and removed the sweater I had on.  "Here.  Keep pressure on it."

"I'll be fine," he said.

I gave him an exasperated look.  "Are you fucking kidding me?  Move your ass before he catches up.  This isn't up for discussion."  I jumped out of the truck and ran around to the driver's side.  He shimmied over on the bench seat with a grimace on his face.  I jumped, slammed the door shut, shifted into drive and floored it.  The back fish-tailed and kicked up more dust and I looked forward to when we found asphalt again.

"I've finally found a reason as to why I don't like your ranch.  It's too far out," I commented.

Thomas groaned a laugh.  "Is that all you found bad about the place?"  He winced as I hit a rut in the road.

"Well...yeah."

We couldn't get to the hospital fast enough.  When tire met pavement, I took her to a speed that was double the limit but I didn't care.  There was no taking my time when the drive was nearly an hour from where he had picked me up, not when Tom was fighting to remain conscious.

Slamming the breaks after skidding into a parking spot, thankful that I hadn't hit any cars on the way in, I took the keys and rushed to the passenger door.  I tried to help Thomas out but he pushed my hand away.