Chapter 29

Morning came fast.  I woke up alone.  The smell of bacon and eggs among a plethora of others wafted toward me.  I dreaded what I was going to be facing today but as much as I did, part of me was excited as well.  My motivation stemmed from getting to know more about Thomas but I'd be lying if I said it didn't have anything to do with seeing an end to my own nightmare.

I got up, dressed and after brushing my hair and spreading a bit of mascara and gloss on, I headed toward the kitchen.

"Good morning, dear," Marie chimed as she set the table.  "Can I get you a cup of coffee?"

"I can get it but thank you.  I think you and Thomas have done enough."

"Actually it was all Thomas.  He only let me set the table, arguing that I hadn't had anyone cook me breakfast in far too long."

"It's a good point."  I smiled.  "You deserve being doted upon from time to time."

"She's right, Mom," Thomas said.  "Here's your coffee, beautiful, now get out of here so the Master Chef can get back to work."  I blushed at his term of endearment seeing as I had never expected to hear it from him in front of his mother.

"I think we should just sit here and watch him work.  What do you think, Erica?" his mother asked.

"It's what I do when we're home."

***

Marie came with us into the fields, after breakfast.  I could see makeshift bull's-eyes far by the treeline in the distance.  In that instant, I knew what I was about to be learning.  I halted and Thomas stopped beside me.

"We can't do this just anywhere and the ranch isn't great because we'll terrify the horses," Thomas explained.  He reached behind himself and pulled out a revolver from his belt.  It was small and looked easy enough to manage.  "For now, all I want you to do is hold it."

"Do I have to?" I asked.  I had always wanted to learn how to shoot but when the time was upon me like it was, when I needed to learn how to, I wasn't quite sure if I could follow through.

"It's okay.  It's unloaded and the safety is on," he said.  That helped ease the nervous tension.

"Okay," I said.  My shaky hands took the weapon.  I was surprised at its light weight despite how solid the gun felt.

I had always been under the impression that holding one would make me feel more powerful but it wasn't the case.  If anything, I felt clumsy, like a danger to anyone around me and myself.

"Relax," Thomas cooed soothingly.  "Once you learn the ins and outs, you'll feel more comfortable.  I rather see you skittish instead of over-confident."

"He's right, honey."  Marie came to stand by us.  "I fought against learning for five years after Tommy's father went to jail.  Doug convinced me that it was for my own protection if he wasn't around.  Now that Doug is no longer with us, I'm thankful I have the means to defend myself."

I pondered what Marie said.

She's right.

Armed with as much courage I could muster, I gripped the gun with more resolve.  It was intimidating but I knew I could do it.  "Okay.  I'm ready."

Thomas hadn't lied.  I did feel empowered now that I knew how to handle a gun.  Shooting had proved more difficult however.  Once I got a feel for the kickback of the weapon and Thomas showed me how to aim, making a few adjustments to my stance and grip, I was able to hit the target.  I might not have been dead center but I had come close a few times.

Not bad for a first-timer.

Thomas had cleared the gun, making sure the safety was on and tucked it in his belt.

"How did it feel?" he asked.

"It was better than I expected."

"We'll come back out later if you're up for it.  I'm proud of you, I know it wasn't easy."

"You're right."  I smiled.  "But I feel better prepared."