Active Storytelling - Dynamic Descriptors

Dynamic Descriptors

Describing characters and their world is crucial to telling stories. Some writers avoid detailed descriptions because, let's face it, descriptions are time consuming to write. On the other side are the writers who are in love with their descriptions. They go on and on until we are literally groaning at the dense chunks of text. This chapter is for both types of writers.

Dynamic - having active strength of body or mind.

Dynamic descriptors bring a story to life and keep you safe from dumping too much on your reader. They set the scene, move the plot, create the mood, foreshadow events, provide a sense of character. By combining descriptive words with action, you can cut info dumps down into palatable pieces and allow them to blend seamlessly into the story.

Below, we've included an example of a basic descriptive sentence, followed by the same sentence using dynamic description.  

"Zara wore a leather top, and when she picked up the cold ale, some of it dripped down her chest." 

"Zara grabbed her frosty mug and gulped it down, shivering when a few drops of ale trickled under her leather top."

Mingle: Integrate descriptions and pertinent details into a scene or dialogue as much as possible, even if you have to create a scene in order to deliver the info. Of course, you still need to make sure the scene is forwarding the plot and stays relevant to the story's genre and theme. 

Short and scattered: Keep descriptions brief and to the point. Two sentences of backstory or straight narration is about the max you get before readers' eyes start to glaze over. And break it up by sprinkling information throughout the scene, the chapter, or the entire novel. Telling the reader the minimum of what they need to know at any given moment will keep the action and the pace moving.

Action: Speaking of action and pace, delivering information through action can work quite well, as long as you make it relevant and don't slow momentum with a lengthy description. The hero in a high-voltage thriller won't stop to admire the snow-capped mountains while chasing his nemesis on a black diamond run. But he might remember his enemy's knee injury that causes them to favor the right side, thus leading him down the right path. (right and right...get it?)

Subtlety: Rather than vomit backstory and description through the protagonist's inner monologue while they drink coffee on their balcony, convey these details subtly through story elements and character traits. Attach them to the protagonist's phobia or fetish, a seasonal event they dread, an accident, the delivery of a package that triggers a meltdown.

Know your characters and their world: When inserting descriptors through your character's POV, keep in mind what they already know. An insane number of stories begin with the protagonist describing themselves in front of a mirror. There are more creative ways of delivering this information. Perhaps, the protagonist's new mailman notices her eye color is the same as his own daughter's. Likewise, in a medieval setting, your character will not be amazed by the colorful tapestries on the castle walls. Instead, they might notice the tapestries have not been dusted in a while. Not only are you painting the scene here, you are developing character.

Avoid adjectivitis: Refrain from using too many adjectives when writing your descriptions. They can slow the pace and increase paragraph size. Usually, one will do the job. Two, if you must. The same goes for adverbs and weak qualifiers, such as somewhat and nearly. Don't rely too heavily on these words to do the work for you. Use strong, active nouns and verbs.

Don't be a thesaurus junkie: When it comes to precise and varied word choice, a thesaurus can be very useful. But egregious thesaurus use can be obvious and damning. Transforming blue eyes into ultramarine orbs or stark walls into pale concrete obstacles may distract the reader rather than engage them.

📌 PRO TIP #1: Trust in the intelligence of your audience. You don't have to spell everything out. You can lead them to conclusions about a character's traits through their actions and interactions, as well as through dialogue.

📌 PRO TIP #2: If you are someone who despises writing descriptions, don't let them get in your way when you're writing the first draft. You can always go back and add them later. 

On to Part 3...