Character Development - Roles

When you think of your favorite stories, you typically think of the characters in those stories before anything else

When you think of your favorite stories, you typically think of the characters in those stories before anything else. Some of those characters may have even shaped how you view the world, especially if you grew up reading the same stories over and over again. We're here to talk about writing characters, and—more importantly—how to make them memorable.

A character can be defined as a person, animal, or figure represented in a literary work. The purpose of characters in a story is to push the plot forward in a relatable and engaging way, and like any other element, characters need to be developed. There are a number of methods that have been perfected over the years to help writers do that. So many, in fact, that we have split up the topic of characters into three parts. Part one will cover character types and how to develop well-rounded characters.

WHAT IS CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT?

In fiction writing, character development is the process of building a unique, three-dimensional character with depth, personality, and clear motivations. Character development can also refer to the changes a character undergoes over the course of a story as a result of their actions and experiences—we also call this the character arc. See the next chapter for details about Character Arcs.

When it comes to your story, it doesn't matter whether the stakes are big or small, as long as they matter to your protagonist. He could be searching for the antidote to a deadly pandemic. Or she might be trying to save her family from an eviction. Establish what is important to your character, what they are willing to do to reach it, and help the reader imagine what might happen if they lose it. Characters, like people, are imperfect. They don't need to be likeable, but they must be interesting.

WHAT ROLES WILL YOUR CHARACTER'S PLAY?

Protagonist / Antagonist / Deuteragonist / Tertiary / Love Interest / Confidant / Foil

The protagonist is the main character, the big kahuna, the star attraction. This should be the first character you flesh out. Most of the action centers around them, and they are the one we're meant to care about the most. Every story has to have a protagonist. No protagonist—no plot.

The antagonist's job is to antagonize; it's built right into their title. They are meant to thwart, battle, and oppose the protagonist. Most of the time, the protagonist is good and the antagonist is evil, but this isn't always the case — especially if the protagonist is an anti-hero who lacks typical heroic attributes, or the antagonist is an anti-villain who has noble characteristics. Antagonists usually play an equally important role as their protagonistic counterparts, but they may not be seen as much. The question of "What will the antagonist do next?" can be a source of tension in a story.

The deuteragonist is a character (or group of characters) who's not exactly in the spotlight, but pretty close to it. In the comic book world, they would be the sidekick often seen in the company of the protagonist, giving advice and plotting against rivals. In a romance, it could be the lover. Their close relationship to the protagonist gives the story heart. But not all secondary figures are friends—like that high school coach pushing his team because he's determined to win the championship—and these less-friendly deuteragonists lend depth to a story.

Tertiary characters flit in and out of the protagonist's life, perhaps only appearing in one or two scenes throughout the book. A tertiary character might be the gossipy neighbor or the barista who never gets the order right. As in life, we need these characters in the story to progress the plot and help develop our protagonist's character.

The love interest appears in most novels, as they often contain romance in one form or another. It might be the main plot, a subplot, or just a blip on the narrative radar. This character is typically a deuteragonist, especially in a romance novel, but not exclusively. Some love interests make their MC swoon; others make them scoff. The protagonist may deny their feelings for this person, or vice-versa, which is a great plot device. We should find ourselves intrigued whenever the love interest pops up on the page.

The confidant can be one of the most profound relationships the protagonist has in a novel. Confidants are often best friends, but they may also be a potential love interest or a mentor. The protagonist shares their thoughts and emotions with this person, often when they're reluctant to share with anyone else. On the flip side, the confidant might be someone the protagonist turns to because they feel they have no other choice.

A foil character is someone whose personality and values fundamentally clash with the protagonist's. This clash highlights the protagonist's defining attributes, giving us a better picture of who they truly are. Though these two often have an antagonistic relationship, the foil is not usually the primary antagonist. Sometimes the MC and their foil clash at first, but eventually see past their differences to become friends, partners, or even lovers.

On to Part 2 of Character Development...