Character Arc - Types

A character arc is the journey of a character over the course of a story

A character arc is the journey of a character over the course of a story. A compelling character arc has a character facing fears and overcoming challenges as the story unfolds, often resulting in the character's personal growth. Character arcs usually progress in tandem with the story arc. Learning how to construct a strong character arc can turn a good character into a great character and improve your story in the process.

4 TYPES OF CHARACTER ARCS

1. Transformational arc is a character arc in which the main character goes from being a regular person to a hero over the course of the story. This type of character arc is associated with epic stories and the archetypal hero's journey story structure. Examples include Luke Skywalker and Harry Potter.

2. Positive change arc is similar to a transformational arc but usually not quite as dramatic. A positive arc requires that a character experience positive change over the course of a story. Characters generally start out with negative outlooks or characteristics and develop a positive worldview by the end of the story. Examples include Ebenezer Scrooge and The Grinch.

3. Negative change arc involves a character starting out as good or benevolent and descending into evil or ill intent over the course of a story. An example of this would be Michael Corleone in The Godfather, who starts as a squeaky clean army veteran with a good reputation despite being from an organized crime family. By the end of the story, Michael finds himself at the head of the crime family, consumed by a bloodthirsty need to maintain power and control.

4. Flat or static character arc is a much less common form of character arc and can mostly be found in action and thriller stories. Examples include Sherlock Holmes and Indiana Jones, who remain emotionally stoic and highly capable regardless of the danger they find themselves in.

MULTIPLE CHARACTER ARCS

In most cases, you won't write a single character arc for each book in your series because series often feature a cast of characters. Most of your major characters will be affected by the plot in some way. Mapping out multiple character arcs doesn't have to be as difficult as it sounds. If you keep a list of your four basic character arcs (transformational, positive, negative, flat/static), you can use that list to identify which type of arc you'd like each of your characters to face. If you're unsure, consider how your story's events affect them on a physical, emotional, or spiritual level.

'If your plot forces your character to overcome an insecurity, they'll likely experience a positive change arc. If it tests their core beliefs, you have a flat arc on your hands. If it preys heavily on their fears, it may make the most sense for your character to experience a negative change arc.'

📌 PRO TIP: Plot and character are a push and pull. One will always affect the other. An event may force a character into action, but that action will always come with emotional consequences. Rather than have your character jump blindly from one conflict to the next, give them time and room to allow external events to affect them.

On to Part 2 of Character Arcs...