Plot and Structure - Recap

Markers of a Great Story Arc

The Hook: This should happen in chapter one. With infinite stories to choose from, readers are looking to be dazzled. Startle them with an opening line that catapults them into the setting and the mind of the protagonist. Drop them into the middle of the action or during a life-changing event. Leave the backstory and exposition for later if you can help it. Instead, create intrigue in the first few pages. End the chapter with a cliffhanger.

Inciting Incident: This is the catalyst that sets the rest of the story in motion. The pivotal moment when your protagonist is forced to change course. Give your inciting incident urgency. Raise questions for your readers. Use it to illustrate key aspects of characters and set the tone for the story. This should happen within the first three chapters.

Binding Point: This change shifts the protagonist's motivation, their environment, their abilities, or their support group. This event should move the story and the character toward their goal. Changes are refreshing for readers. That's why following a story arc based around drastic changes can be a powerful storytelling tool That first kiss, the flood that breaks the dam, a fall down the stairs. 

Midway Point and Dark Night of the Soul: Once you hit the mid point of the story, your character should be well on their way toward their goal and fighting battles to get there, even metaphorical ones. Then, about 3/4 into the story, your character experiences the biggest setback yet (their darkest night). How will they overcome it? All the character development you've created should come into play here as your protagonist makes tough choices. Help them get to their moment of truth.

Climax: Following the protagonist's moment of truth, their transformation is tested for the final time during the climax. Has everything they learned been enough to see them through? Be sure to choose the right setting. Does the climactic event fit the mood and theme? Turn up the heat and pile on the drama. Then don't forget to take care writing those seconds after the climax. For the reader to get closure on the moment, you need to get the hero back to safety.

Resolution: Resolutions can vary in length, but shorter is generally better. Your story is essentially over. You just need to tie off the loose ends and provide a satisfying conclusion. Keep in mind the tone that you want to leave your readers with. Will the story end with a happily-ever-after? Will it be thought provoking? Will it have humor or leave them with uncertainty? And don't forget, the resolution should offer the reader a concrete example of how the character's journey has changed them and a sense of continuation in their lives.