Character Development - Engaging

7 WAYS TO WRITE ENGAGING CHARACTERS

1 - Plotting: Many novelists like to spend time with their characters before they start writing (similar to plotting a story). If we know something about a character ahead of time—how they walk and speak, their secrets and desires, what they value and who they associate with—we will naturally create someone who is more complex. Not only that, but we'll know how that character interacts with their world and reacts to events as the story unfolds around them.

2 - Pantsing: Some writers would rather allow their characters to develop on their own, usually as the story develops. They may start out one way and end up a different way, becoming changed by what happens to them. Being open to this sort of character development can keep the process from becoming too rigid.

3 - Develop characters who reflect your interests: You're going to be spending a lot of time with your characters, so the fiction rule "write what you want to know" applies to them as well. Don't be afraid to give your protagonist familiar qualities, or engage in hobbies and interests similar to your own.

4 - Reveal traits through the character's physical world: Know your character's physical world intimately and how they relate to it. This may be through descriptions of their home, income level, or physical appearance. If a character dislikes their nose, this could play out in their behavior. Some writers use clothing to reveal the quirks or personal taste of their characters. Dashiell Hammett never fed his characters, while Charles Dickens fed his extravagantly.

5 - Give them the right skills: Your characters should have skills that allow them to function in their world. If you've chosen to set your novel on the moon, then make sure your character knows how to use a space suit.

6 - Create memorable characters: Try giving each recurring character one quirk or quality that can be used later to help readers recall who they are. This could be a title like "head boy" or a physical attribute like "bow-legged."

7 - Give access to the character's inner conflict: One way to create intimacy with your reader is to use internal monologue (usually written in italics). Giving the reader a glimpse into a character's thoughts as they happen—Geez, that was a stupid move—exposes inner turmoil, motivations, opinions, and personality. It can also be a way to convey information about your setting, events, and other characters.

On to the Character Arc...