Character Diversity - Supporting Cast

DIVERSE CHARACTERS IN YOUR SUPPORTING CAST

First of all, supporting characters (or sidekicks) should not simply exist for the protagonist to bounce clever dialogue off or advance the plot. They should be fleshed out and given backstories like any other developed character worth their salt. When you choose to give your supporting characters a diverse background, the task becomes a bit more challenging. You certainly don't want to create a character that feels like a stereotype. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't do it. It just means you will need to apply the same rules for creating those characters as you would if your protagonist had a diverse background.

Some well-known supporting characters have grown to become as beloved as their protagonist counterparts, such as Sherlock Holmes's companion, Doctor Watson, or Will Smith's pretentious cousin, Carlton Banks, from the 90's sitcom Fresh Prince of Bel-Air. Supporting characters provide the perfect opportunity to enrich your story. There's no reason not to consider creating a relatable supporting character with a complex background.

SIDEKICK ARCHETYPES IN LITERATURE

The Innocent: Seeks to be happy, yearns for paradise, fears being punished for making mistakes, tries to do things "the right way", faithful, likely to be extremely optimistic.

The Rebel: Wants to overthrow systems that aren't working, seeks revenge or revolution, fears being powerless or defeated, tries to shock, disrupt, or destroy, a strong tendency to commit crimes, likely to be outrageous and radical.

The Lover: Wishes to be surrounded by people, places, and things they love, craves intimacy and experience, afraid of being left alone or unloved, strives to become more emotionally and physically attractive, exhibits passion and commitment, likely to be grateful and appreciative.

The Orphan: Strives to belong and connect with others, afraid to be alone and to stand out in a crowd, tries to fit in, and earn friendships, empathetic, likely to live in a fantasy world.

The Jester: Wants to have a great time and lighten up the world, lives in the moment, fears being bored or boring, makes jokes, likely to be careless and clumsy.

The Explorer: Wants to experience a more fulfilling life, yearns for the freedom to explore the world and discover themselves, afraid of conforming or being trapped, likely to be a misfit or wander aimlessly.

The Magician: Makes wishes come true, yearns to understand the laws of the Universe, strong skills in finding resolutions, likely to become knowingly or unknowingly manipulative.

📌 NOTE: As with any story that features characters from different worlds, be mindful what role you put these characters in. Don't fall into the stereotype trope trap. Continue to the next chapter for more on stereotypes.

On to Part 3 of Character Diversity...