The Logline

WHAT IS A LOGLINE?

WHAT IS A LOGLINE?

A story logline is a 1 to 2 sentence concept of a book or film. Often you will find a logline preceding the blurb, like the appetizer before the main course. You will also see loglines referred to as a 'pitch'.

When writing a logline for your story, you can follow this simple mantra:

Be Original - Be Memorable - Hook Your Reader - Around 30 Words

Quick and easy tips for writing a great logline:

A good rule of thumb when writing a logline is to include the main character, their goal, and the obstacle keeping them from that goal. For example:

The protagonist (their name isn't a requirement, just a description will do — An alcoholic surgeon...)

The goal of the protagonist (usually in line with the story's inciting incident — An alcoholic surgeon must fight for his job...)

The antagonist or obstacle (the thing that is keeping them from their goal — An alcoholic surgeon must fight for his job after a disgruntled patient accuses him of malpractice...)

Samples of Loglines

> A lovestruck demigoddess, unaware of her royal status, makes a shocking discovery on her eighteenth birthday and attempts to flee to the underworld with Hades to escape Zeus's wrath.

> A professor of symbology unlocks codes buried in ancient works of art as he hunts for the Holy Grail.

> A dark witch teams up with a handsome vampire when her family's plan to unlock the pages of an ancient grimoire goes awry.

> Private investigator Max Caldwell believes that rules are meant to be broken -- even if that means a whole bunch of hangovers, sex frustrations, and some guys who want to kill her.

📌NOTE: Many Wattpad Originals stories start with a logline followed by the blurb.