The Hook - Memorable Titles

* Use Titles to Hook Readers *

As critical as the opening hook is, a catchy, thought-provoking book title can function as a hook as well. It is truly your earliest opportunity to grab readers. Book titles are a small showcase of your abilities as a writer. As such, it's important to come up with a great title that will show potential readers a bit of your writing skills. Think of ways you can interest your target audience with emotionally loaded language or a surprising combination of words.

This also works for chapter titles if you decide to use them!

* 4 Tips for Coming Up With Memorable Titles *

1. Keep it short

A short title is easy to remember and oftentimes can be more evocative and powerful than longer titles. NOTE: Beware of one-word titles. In the age of online search engines, a reader will pull up a list with many results when typing a one-word title into the search bar. Expanding one-word titles to three or four words will improve your book's discoverability.

2. Make it evocative. Make it original

Best-selling titles are often evocative and contain compelling wordplay and imagery. Consider what separates your book from other books. The perfect title will clue your reader into what they will find when they dive into your book, but also what makes it special.

3. Consider existing titles

Perform an extensive online search of the working title of a new book to ensure that it hasn't already been used. Granted, with the surplus of published novels available today, it will be difficult to turn out titles that are completely unique. If you do find a published work with the same title as your work in progress, look at the published date and find out how popular the book is. Perhaps it's out of print, thus giving your novel a chance to stand out.

4. Be careful of inadvertent references

You don't want your book title to make readers uncomfortable or have them associate the title with a controversial topic, group or event.

📌PRO TIP: When generating ideas for book titles, here are a few things to consider: Character names (Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, Don Quixote), Settings (Love in the Time of Cholera, Harlem Shuffle), Literary Devices such as alliteration or hyperbole (Gone Girl, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs)