The Story Blurb

WHAT IS A BLURB?

WHAT IS A BLURB?

Your story's blurb is like a billboard or a movie trailer. Regardless of where you plan to publish your work or in what format, you need to write a blurb for your story so readers will have some idea of what it's about.

A blurb is basically a brief description of a story typically found on the back cover of a book. On Wattpad, it's the description under Story Details. The blurb's main purpose is to lure readers in and make them so intrigued that they are compelled to read on.

Here are some tips we believe to be essential to crafting a good blurb.

1. Include a hook

A hook is a story element that gets a reader's attention. It could be a premise (a teen has no idea that his family are werewolves), a unique character (an assassin who can't stand the sight of blood), or even a writing style (a story about a family told from the perspective of a mouse).

If the blurb is dull, readers may not bother with the story. Startle them with an opening line that catapults them into the setting and the mind of the protagonist. Or finish the blurb with a taste of intrigue so they're excited to learn more.

2. Entice with enough story details

The blurb is not meant to be a full length summary of the book. Tell readers just enough about the plot and/or characters that they'll want to know more. Obviously don't reveal big spoilers, but often little spoilers are necessary to catch a reader's attention. You may think "Sarah has a secret" sounds mysterious, but that only makes it sound like thousands of other stories where a character has a secret. Instead, something like "No one knows that Sarah can kill a man five different ways in five seconds" grabs the reader's attention and makes them wonder how she has this deadly ability. Her background can be the secret that the blurb does not reveal. Give enough details in the blurb to make the reader want to find out more.

3. Use a formula

Most blurbs start with a character or situation, introduce a conflict or problem, and show the stakes if the character fails. It's important to write the blurb so it conveys the mood of the story. On Wattpad, you will find many story blurbs follow this formula:

Romance = MC #1's mini blurb + MC #2's mini blurb + catchy hook

Action or Fantasy = MC's mini blurb + MC's obstacle + catchy hook

4. Aim for between 150 to 250 words

Keep your blurb short and to the point. Just like this tip.

5. POV and tense matters

If you are writing a story to be traditionally published, your blurb should be written in third person / present tense regardless of which point of view or tense the story is written. For online platforms, such as Wattpad, writing a blurb in first person is also acceptable.

6. Appeal to your readers' emotions

Most of us read novels to escape, so give readers a blurb that makes them want to get lost in the story. Provide some action and suspense, intrigue and passion, along with characters they can connect with and plots they want to immerse themselves in. Make them feel so excited about your blurb that they are left with no option but to read on.

~ SAMPLE BLURB ~

Genre: Crime / Thriller

Word Count: 120

After witnessing her boyfriend, Malcolm, brutally kill an undercover cop in a drug sting operation, seventeen-year-old Natalee Crogan takes refuge in a small town in Maine to wait out the days until her testimony. Her protection detail, US Marshall Jason Westcott, gets placed on high alert after Malcolm puts out a contract hit on her.

Both Jason and Natalee know that the violent drug runner will stop at nothing to silence the witness who can put him on death row. Now every person on the street could be a potential killer. All Natalee can do is watch her back and hope that Jason will protect her. But it turns out that Malcolm isn't the only one who wants Natalee dead.

 But it turns out that Malcolm isn't the only one who wants Natalee dead