The Art of Dialogue - Tags

Using Dialogue Tags and Action Tags Effectively

 👇      👇      👇

Dialogue Tag - conveys to readers how the words are spoken. 

A few ways dialogue tags are useful:

1. Dialogue tags relate to the actual spoken words of characters: "Don't you like fun?" he said. The most common dialogue tag is 'said'. But you will often run across 'asked',  'whispered' and 'blurted', just to name a few. 

2. Dialogue tags should never include an action such as smirk or grimace. You cannot smirk actual words. Instead, you might write it this way: "Don't you like fun?" he said with a smirk. 

3. Some authors prefer to stick with the basic dialogue tag 'said'. This one is invisible to the reader, allowing for seamless reading.  Almost any other dialogue tag will draw attention to itself. This doesn't mean you shouldn't use other creative dialogue tags, just use them sparingly. A tag that overpowers the dialogue itself will often pull the reader out of their reading flow.

👇      👇      👇

Action Tag - a sentence that precedes or follows a line of dialogue in which the speaking character does something.

A few ways action tags are useful:

1. Action tags offer variety. If you hate the monotony of 'said', action can also serve to show the reader who is speaking. Additionally, action tags eliminate the need for a dialogue tag altogether. 

Example: George pursed his lips. "You're the loudest person I know, Miranda."

2. You don't normally need to use a dialogue tag and an action tag together. 

Examples: 

 Unnecessary dialogue tag: "Shush, be quiet. Someone is coming," George said as he pulled Miranda behind the pillar to get her out of sight.

Tighter option: "Shush, be quiet. Someone is coming." George pulled Miranda behind the pillar to get her out of sight.

3. Action tags help readers make inferences about what's going on inside a character's mind without having to tell them. More show, less tell. However, if the character's dialogue is strong enough, you may not need an action tag. Conversely, don't water down your dialogue for the sake of including an action tag.

4. Action tags allow you to share significant stage directions and character quirks. But pay attention if you're overusing action tags. You don't want to bog down your reader with actions that don't propel the scene forward. If the character answers with a 'yes', then readers don't need to see them nodding.

5. Action tags can reveal a paradox or contradictions. If the character says one thing but does another thing, readers get to solve the mystery of what's actually going on beneath the words spoken. While this is a powerful tool, it will lose its zing if every other action reveals contrary subtext.

📌 PRO TIP #1: A dialogue tag will fade into the background, while an action tag tells the reader to pay attention. Be aware of this, as it will impact your pacing.

📌 PRO TIP #2: Don't overuse dialogue or action tags. When two characters are speaking, a good rule of thumb is one tag for every five lines of dialogue. More tags are necessary if more than two characters are speaking. 

On to Part 4...