IRI NA ISII

Chuka had asked Amanda out on a date during lunch the previous day and excited was an understatement for what Amanda felt. Stephanie just kept staring at her and hoped her advice wasn't taken for granted.
Chuka was her brother, yes, but she couldn't let him ruin her friendship with Amanda.

They had gone for the naming ceremony at her sister's house, and as usual, only her sister made a big deal over a naming ceremony. It was awkward, Amanda and Chuka hung around while Stephanie was looking after the new baby. The little boy was so cute and very peaceful, he rarely made noises neither did he oppose to strangers carrying him, those kind of babies were hard to find. Chinaza was having fun with the kids and it's seemed like he had bonded well with Hailey. They were always together, either playing games or talking.  She knew Chidinma wasn't liking the idea but there was no way she could make her discomfort known because Stephanie was ready for her. They all sat to eat, Stephanie's dad said the prayers and they all began to eat

"Do you want my chicken?" Hailey asked Chinaza in a tone she considered hushed.

"No! You love chicken." Chinaza replied.

"Well, you can have mine. I don't wanna eat it." Hailey offered.

"Thank you but I'm okay, my mom would take me to eat later and I could have as much chicken as I want." Chinaza said.

"Mom ke?" Chidinma asked.

"Not your business. Keep eating." Stephanie replied, trying to divide her chicken.

"I'm just concerned. You haven't adopted him yet and he is calling mom. Don't you agree with me Honey?" Chidinma said, looking at her husband for support.

"Definitely babe. I totally agree." Jumbo replied.

Stephanie was going to talk but Odogwu beat her to it. "Can you keep quiet Jumbosco?"

"Can you let my husband be? He is just supporting his wife, something you would understand if you were married." Chidinma replied rudely.

"That was low Chidi, even for you, very low." Stephanie remarked.

"Everything she said was true,stop supporting the negative." Jumbo said stupidly.

"When would you become your own man Jumbosco? You never take your stand. Always agreeing to whatever Chidinma says, good or bad. We were made to believe that Igbo men had authority but when I look at you, I reconsider it. I really do feel pity for you." Stephanie said.

"Biko, daddy and I are different." Chuka said to Stephanie. He stood to leave, then turned to Chidinma and said, "We never have a peaceful time whenever we come here. This is the last time I'm showing up here. You and your mother can enjoy each other's company."

"I'm not returning here either. Oh, and Jumbosco, pick a side. Stop being easily swayed." Stephanie stood up and walked to hug her father. Naza and Amanda followed behind and they walked straight out. As they were about leaving, Chuka spoke to Amanda, "Don't forget our date."

Amanda just smiled and entered the car.

Chinaza followed Stephanie to her room, he was on Netflix while Stephanie was working but one of her clients had arrived their holiday spot and she had to know if they settled in fine.  There were no issues for now, which was a good sign.
Stephanie's phone rang, it was a WhatsApp call from Didi. She had ignored her enough, it was time to move on.

"You're terrible, bestfriend." Didi screamed.

"That's rich, coming from the one that gave me a man that broke my heart." replied Stephanie.

"Can you just let this go already? How was I supposed to know he would do that? I'm sorry." Didi apologized again.

"It's fine. How are you?" Stephanie asked.