IRI NA ABUO

The holiday season was here already. Normally, Stephanie was always busy and hardly spent time at home but with Chinaza, Dipsy and Amanda, she was always home. But then, it was the second week of July and definitely she was going to be busy; those that always made late travel plans would keep her up most nights, adding to the fact that she had to check up on her earlier bookings for her other clients. The day Stephanie took Naza to a client's hotel room, he was in awe and she made a mental note to take him to one sometime. She wasn't going to lie, these past 3 weeks of knowing Dipsy have been really sweet, he even reminded Chinaza of their date tomorrow. She was surprised that Naza wanted to go shopping to buy clothes for tomorrow, he was so excited and expectant.

"Don't panick about your results, whatever it may be." Stephanie said while holding the steering wheel.

Yes, you thought right. She'd started driving Chinaza to school when Iheanyi's wife gave birth again. (it's their seventh child!!!)
She remembered that day, he called her so excited and said, "Madam! My wife don born again ooooo."
She'd been so angry, she shouted at him a lot. What were they doing with seven children for God's sake! She wondered if they knew what family planning was.
With the way the economy was collapsing, seven children was just sheer foolishness.
He asked for an advance of his salary to pay the hospital bills but she declined and paid the bills herself. She just hoped he wasn't planning for another child.

"You've been saying that for a week now. I'm not worried." Chinaza's reply brought her back to reality.

"Anu-go m. Have fun." Stephanie answered and watched him enter the school.

Her phone began to ring, it was her father, Odogwu was finally calling. She had anticipated the call for a while now, she would call him back when she got to the office.

"Odogwu, otuto Oma." Stephanie greeted as she walked to her office.

"Adannaya, ole otu I di?" Came the voice from the other side.

"I'm fine, dad." Stephanie answered.

"Your mother is back! She came back complaining." Her dad said.

"As always. She even compared me to Chidinma." Stephanie reported.

"Biko hafu ya. How's the boy? Are you really going to adopt him?" Her dad questioned.

"The boy is fine, Daddy. Thank you and yes, I'm going to adopt him." Stephanie replied.

"Ngwanu, if it makes you happy. I totally support it. So you're not marrying again?" Dad asked.

"I will, when I find the right person. But for now, it's just Chinaza and I." Stephanie said.

"Anu-go m. When is he coming to see me?" Dad inquired.

"He can't come dad, mom doesn't like him. You could come visit though." Stephanie suggested.

"Okay. I will come. Ngwanu it's time for breakfast. Take care of yourself and the boy." Her dad said.

"Thank you daddy. I will." Stephanie replied and her dad ended the call.

She got busy; checking the flight dates of her clients, sending them messages to remind them and calling various hotels to get them set for the holiday seasons, both in and outside Nigeria.

Her phone rang, it was Chidinma. She wondered why she was calling, because honestly she didn't have strength to argue with her, she was already stressed from working so she let it ring out twice to see if her sister would get the sign and stop calling but the girl sent a text; I know you are watching it ring. Pick up, I have work too. She just rolled her eyes at the text, rude as always.