Fresh Start

Hi. My name is Julia Abigail Moorehouse. I suppose if I had friends they might call me Abby like my mother does, but I don't really have any and I don't want any. I have lots of "acquantainces", but friends are just more trouble than they are worth.  I had an almost-friend in kindergarten until she stole my pink crayon, and that was the end of that. I've never really had a boyfriend. I started developing way before any of my other classmates in middle school and I got alot of attention for it. The guys loved me and the girls hated me until they caught up with me. And  I did kiss my neighbor Parker in the treehouse when we were in eighth grade, but his mother caught us and called me a harlot (whatever that is) and I haven't seen him since. 

But today, I get a new start. My mom decided two weeks before Christmas that she was tired of making $12 an hour on her four-year degree and that we were going to move after the holidays. Not that I mind, I didn't have anyone or anything to miss. So on New Year's Eve we packed up our stuff and moved three states away to a town only slightly bigger than our old one. Of course, my mom has to make a one-hour commute to and from her job, but she didn't want to live in the big city.

Today is my first day at my new school. Yay. I've only been here four days and haven't left the house, so I have no idea what my school even looks like. My mom went yesterday after orientation at her new job to register me for classes. At my old school, I didn't really care what I looked like, but I figured today would be a perfect day to unload the garbage bags of clothes my cousin Andrea gave me when she got pregnant and couldn't wear them anymore. Luckily they were freshly washed and folded neatly enough to have minimal wrinkling. Just as I expected, they were all name brand. I pulled out a long sleeved purple v-neck and tried it on. Wow. Cleavage.  The next shirt I tried on was a pink t-shirt that fit just right. I dug through the bags and found a pair of jeans. Hmm, cousin Andrew had good taste. I put on some make-up and even pulled my long brown hair out of its pony tail and straightened it.

"Abby, are you almost ready?" my mom yelled from the bottom of the stairs.

I gave myself one more quick glance in the mirror and headed down to meet her. She gave me a smile. "You look nice," she said.

"Thanks," I hugged her. "Let's do this."

On the way to my new school, my mother began her 'I'm sorry I dragged you out of school in the middle of your senior year" speech. I told her I didn't mind, she clearly didn't understand how much I didn't.

When we arrived I was amazed at how differently this school looked from my old one. It was big. No, wait, it was HUGE. My old school was about the size of this one's parking lot. It looked old and run down. Not what I was expecting at all. This put a knot in my stomach.

Luckily, class had already started and there was no one outside as  I started my hike up the miles of stairs. I grasped the door handle and took a deep breath, preparing to start my new life. I peered through the window. The hallway was empty except for a janitor trying to scrub something off of a locker. The lights were dim and the floor looked dingy. The walls were a pale yellow, probably white at one time, and there was a camera at the far end of the hallway. I wondered who was looking at me when a bell began to ring angrily above my head and I jumped back. It was probably a good thing that I did, since the next thing I knew a short, dark-haired guy with a green bookbag came rushing up the stairs and jerked the door open.

"Hurry up!" he yelled, holding the door open.

As I went to step through the door he let it go and I walked right into it. I heard laughter from behind me. I stumbled backwards and seen the door magically open again. "Going in?" I looked up to see a tall dark-haired guy holding the door. He was much taller than the other guy who had almost broken my nose. He had on a black t-shirt and jeans and was carrying his books in his arm. He was cute. "Uh, yeah," I managed to say. "After you" he motioned me in.