27 | The Dating Debacle

Chapter Twenty-Seven: The Dating Debacle

As Faith walked out of the Hogwarts Express, hand in hand with Sirius Black, all she could think was, I have a very good explanation for this

Then, when she recounted her explanation in her head as she watched her aunt, uncle, and half of the school population still at Platform Nine and Three-Quarters stare at the pair with bulging eyes, all she could think was, I have an explanation, but it is not a good one.

And finally, when Sirius stopped them both five feet away from both of their families, and leaned down to press a kiss to her cheek, whispering, "I'll see you after Christmas, love," and Faith nodded, smiling sweetly, only Sirius could see the utter shit-storm in her eyes, which screamed, I have no idea how to explain this, or what the fuck I'm doing. Help me!

***

Our explanation dates back to the day Faith had promised to do anything Sirius asked if she lost the bet regarding the relationship of Lily Evans and James Potter, and truly unfolds two days before the school was due to break up for the Christmas holiday.

It was a normal Friday evening for Faith Potter. She was walking back from a gruelling detention in the dungeons, which were twice as cold as any other part of the castle ever since the winter chill had pervaded its halls and chambers, in which she had single-handedly scrubbed the windows lining every potions classroom which were coated with a thick layer of grime and dirt.

She had earned the detention because, apparently, sending your Head of House and Transfiguration professor a Howler which yelled, "Hey Professor, you're so irresistible, you've got me feline some type of way. Want to take meowt on a date?" just wasn't proper, and she had immediately been sanctioned twenty points for lack of modicum, and then another five for the terrible pick-up lines.

But Faith had definitely seen the woman smile before she left, and so she didn't rather care much for the detention it landed her.

That was then.

Now ㅡ well, that was what she had thought before she was a frozen, teeth-chattering mess. She didn't even think she had enough energy in her to shiver. As she slowly trailed up the stairs, Faith thought about her friends who were no doubt up to no good in their dorms, warm, cosy, and planning pranks against innocent first-years and ways to antagonise the Slytherins.

James was more hellbent than ever in wooing Lily, and was certain that the way to win her heart was to show what a git Snape was and humiliate him in any way possible. Faith strongly disagreed, stating that it would only make her think him insufferable and a bully, but if there was anything she knew about James it was that he was stubborn ㅡ and a bit of an idiot when it came to girls. Remus agreed with her opinion and tried to talk both James and Sirius out of it ㅡ the latter of whom only wanted an excuse to get back at Snivellus for hexing him earlier that day to sprout boils. Of course, neither had listened.