|48|

"Alex." I say, as he takes my call. "I'm at a loss for words."

"This is the first time you've called me first, Natalie. I'm elated."

"Heh. You're a bit strange. First, you cut the call on me and go MIA for hours and the next day, you send a lawyer to my home, with documents, splitting half of your possessions with me. I don't know what to think."

"I'd give up anything to have you as my woman, love. Anything."

"Thank you. However, I want you know that I wanted only C.I. I've never been interested in your wealth. I'm wealthy enough."

"I know you are. I don't care what your motives are, or what your goal is. I would happily let you walk all over me. Gladly."

I take the phone off my ear and look at the phone, worried. What the hell? Who even talks like that?

"Thank you again, Alex. We should see tomorrow so we can talk about all of this properly. There's something I must tell you."

"About? Can you tell me now?"

"The um. . . the 12 months thing? You know what, tomorrow, okay, Alex? I'll send you a text. I need your help tomorrow too. Goodnight."

****

I'm driving to the supermarket to get Louis some diapers. We'd run out of diapers for him and Louis pooped frequently.

I'm dressed in a grey tank top, my hair in a messy bun and some black sweat pants. I put on my shades as I get down from my car. I didn't want the paparazzi taking photos of me like this.

Taking the trolley, I pack a bunch of diapers, tampons and pads. There's a tiny Winnie the Pooh teddy bear, so I pick it up for my son. I continue to stroll round the mall. "I can't even shop for anything because the pantry's full." I say, nodding my head. I felt like buying a whole lot of things, but that would just be unnecessary. I stop as soon as I sight some chocolates. I pick up some skittles, Hershey's dark chocolate and some gum. Louis has never had chocolates, well, not that I knew of. "I'll teach him how to eat these." I say, walking. As I raise my head up, my eyes fall on a pregnant woman. I smile, reminiscing my pregnancy with Louis. I look away, walking towards the counter when I pause. I knew her. I take several steps back so I can get a proper look at her.

"Mrs. Durant." I walk towards her. "Excuse me. Hi." I say. She turns around, quickly putting on her sunglasses. She holds her stomach as though she's protecting her child from something.

"It's me, Natalie. Luke's ex wife. We met at the annual 29th soiree Luke throws."

"Oh. Hello. Nice seeing you." She says, turning to leave. I grab her arm. "Wait." Immediately, she winces in pain. I let go of her hand.

"I'm sorry." I respond.

"Please. Leave me alone."

"You're the wife of Adam. Adam Durant. I know your husband. Did he do this to you? Where's your daughter, Emily?"

"Did Adam send you here? I've told him, I'm not going to tell anybody. I'm not going to call the media. I'm not going to cross him. Please, go away." She says, almost in tears. I look at her, amazed.

"No." I say, taking off my shades. "I'm Natalie. Natalie Richardson, I don't work for your husband, Mrs. Durant. If anything, I despise your husband. He's a thorn in my path." Adam Durant was part of the board members, and a major shareholder. He owned almost nine percent of C.I. If anything, Adam hated me, he hated my guts and he was infact one of those who opposed my authority in C.I.

"I'd advise you; stay away from Adam. He's not an enemy you should keep."

"On the contrary, I'm not an enemy he should keep. Mrs. Durant, I think we can be of help to one another."