|30|

Vengeance is costly, and as Confucius once said, "When embarking on a journey of revenge, dig two graves." One for yourself, and one for your enemy because vengeance is destructive, it destroys all.

***

I can tell that the men are ogling at my cleavage as I walk through the crowd, smiling at people I'm acquainted with.

I scan the environment, trying to find my ex-husband. Luke would definitely be at the party. Hell, for all I knew, this party might've even been a celebratory party. I walked right into my own funeral, but I didn't mind. I needed to see Alex, again. I'd pretend I had no idea the party was being hosted by his family. To get him on my side, I needed to play the innocence card.

"Natalie?" I hear. I turn. I smile. "Mrs. Devine. How lovely it is to see you. You look stunning as ever." I say, as I hug and exchange pecks with the woman.

She chuckles, "You remind me of my youth. I love the hair, your dress is just fantastic. Who are you wearing?"

"Vera Wang. You have a good eye."

"Of course!"

I chuckle, "This is my signature hairstyle. I think it accentuates my jaw line. It's more defined."

"Glamour waves. Very Marilyn Monroe-ish."

I giggle. "I'll go get some wine. How's your husband?"

"He's abroad. Please." I tap her hands and take my leave. Judith comes out of nowhere and drags me. "I told you about the fiancé thing. We're you able to arrange for someone to act the part?"

"I almost forgot about your crazy lie. Mother, it'd be best if you told them you were wrong."

"What? Not even one? For God's sake, Natalie, you're a beautiful woman, so why are you letting God's gifts and my features you inherited waste?!" She yells, beginning her drama.

"I beg your pardon?"

"Come here. You'll say that yourself." She says as she begins to drag me along with her.

"Mother! Let me go, mother."

"Eleanor!" Judith says, halting and adjusting her hair. "Say hello," She nudges me.

"Hello. . .Mrs. . .?" I ask as soon as I see her ring.

"Eleanor Robinson." She says, giving me a warm smile. Robinson? That meant she was related to Alex. She was probably his mother. She looked like it.

I smile back, "Natalie Richardson. It's my pleasure." I say.

"Oh. I thought you were familiar. I didn't know you were the one. I'm so sorry you had to go through that." She says, holding my hands.

"Sorry?" I ask, confused.

"Well, the attempted rape. . .?" She says.

"Oh." I say, almost embarrassed. "Thank you."

"Eleanor, your family's arrived." A woman dressed richly says as she approaches us.

"I know. This is Natalie Richardson." She tells the woman. I smile.

"Oh. How are you?" The woman asks. Her facial expression makes it obvious that she knew about the attempted rape. It'd been long since I'd socialized. I'd forgotten how people could be.

"Judith Richardson." My mother says, laughing. I almost let out a laugh. Typical Judith, never wanting to be left out. The two women pay no attention to Judith and I can see her struggling to gain their attention.