|33|

My makeup is minimal. It reminded me of my days as a single woman and as Luke's wife. Minimal makeup, light pink lipgloss and bias dresses. Today, I'd worn a turtle neck tank top and black leather pants.

As I'm leaving the room, my attention is drawn to my bed. "Heh." I laugh as I realize that Ashley or probably Lydia had left me a party hat. I take the hat and walk to my mirror. I put it on. I can't help but giggle as I look at myself. I looked funny and I loved it. As long as it was for my son and his happiness, I was ready to wear anything.

**
"Anna?" I gasp as I enter the living room.

"Natalie! Oh, my goodness! What?!" Anna exclaims. We exchange hugs.

"You cut your hair?" I ask.

"You dyed yours?!"

"And the reunion begins." Lydia says and we both chuckle.

"How are you? How have you been?" I ask Anna. Anna, Veronica and I were the 'IT Girls' of college. We were the popular-fancy-rich girl squad everyone wanted to be like or be friends with. Lydia was once a part of our clique but personally decided to leave. Her reasons, no one knew.

"You had a son? You had a child? I'm sorry, but I'm shocked, I'd never believe Natalie would have a child so soon."

I chuckle. "Well, when life gives a basket of thorns, make strawberry juice. Louis, is my strawberry juice." Anna and Lydia laugh.

"That's amazing."

"Well, what have you been up to? I see your Instagram, you're mainly posting food and spaces." Lydia asks.

"You live in Australia, right?"

"Well, I own an artisan restaurant and to get recipes, I usually get my inspiration by visiting different places, you know? The atmosphere, the people, rich, poor, middle class, young, old— I'm all in for creating food to suite the taste of anybody. And yes, I live in Australia."

"I am so sorry we lost touch, my life has been one hell of a ride—

"I know. I still keep up with LDN Rich & Famous."

"José's here." Lydia says excitedly. I look at her astonished. Lydia was really heaven-sent, a good friend. I didn't need to tell her how I felt about something or if I was sad. She knew. We just clicked, and I was grateful, having a friend like here by my side.

**
José and I hug as soon as I open the door. "Natty!" José screams. I almost begin sobbing.

"Jo!"I respond, hugging him.

"You are such a terrible friend, you know that?" He says, breaking the hug.

"I know, but I could say the same, you know? You didn't try to reach out to me. Where have you been?"

"Scotland. And yes, I did try to reach you, but it never went through."

"Well, there's a story behind it all."

"Well, fill me in, that's why I'm here right?"

I nod. As usual José looked great. He had gotten taller. He wasn't as skinny as he used to be during our college days. José was the only black male friend I had. He was the only male friend I had.

***
The neighbors had brought their kids over already. Louis and the twins were playing inside his little tent-play house. I'd put in a bowl of diced chocolates and skittles. From where I am, I chuckle as I notice my son going between his bottle of milk and the bowl of chocolates. The young man was really living it up.

"Didn't you think to leave him though?" Anna asks.

"I did. Trust me, I did, but every time I tried to, somehow, he would catch me. I had to give up."