Chapter 1: New Arrivals

EMMA'S POV

I walked onto the school bus, still pretty sleepy, but ready to go. It was the first day of school and I wasn't going to have it ruined. I looked around the bus and saw my friend Jacob in the back of the car. He gave a friendly wave and pointed to the empty seat beside him that he had saved for me. I nodded, smiled, and walked over, sitting down beside him and tossing my bookbag onto the floor. I sat down, shaking the rain off of my hair right onto Jacob's face.

"Ah, god, cut that out!" he said, throwing up his hands and shielding his face.

"Hahaha! You're such a loser," I said, ceasing to move my head.

"Alright, first day of school! Cliffway High School, the smallest school in all of the Midwest, awaits! Ready?" he asked with a big grin as he wiped the water off of his face.

Jacob's a little crazy and silly at times, but we're the best of friends and we have been since birth. He's not terribly tall, but he still is a few inches taller than me. Also, he's not too skinny, but not fat either, so he's just in the middle. He has blond hair that you can usually find ruffled and messed up, and he has sparkly blue eyes. He's got a fake tooth right in the front of his jaw, and he's always getting injured for some odd reason.

"Yeah, I guess. The year should be good. The school said there's going to be a couple more new kids, so maybe we can make some new friends," I said, smiling. Jacob gave a little scowl at that and he let out a sigh.

Jacob's never been great at making friends, and I'm his only real one. Whenever he goes somewhere new or meets somebody unfamiliar, he usually tends to handle it in some odd ways. The bus rumbled back to life and started to move again, snapping Jacob out of his sulky state.

"Yeah, I guess -" he started, but a couple seconds later the bus jerked to a halt again, and jacob was cut off as he pitched forwards in his seat.

I started to crack up, but Jacob gave an angry little growl and started to fake skulk again. He couldn't resist laughing though, and he let out a little grin as well. THe bus doors slid open and a new kid walked on.

The boy who came on was wearing a black-red coat, and I couldn't see his face too well under his hood. A few strands of raven-black hair flapped out from under the hood, and he walked forwards, looking around almost nervously. Well, he was new, and I would expect him to be so. I felt like helping him out, and I pointed to the empty seas across from Jacob and I. Without a word, the kid walked over and sat down.

"Hey, I'm Jacob, and this is my friend Emma. What's your name?" Jacob asked, actually being...friendly for once.

The kid didn't answer, but he pulled off his hood. Honestly...he was pretty cute. No, really cute. He had forest-green eyes with flecks of yellow in them that shimmered when they caught the light. He had raven-black hair with an odd streak of red running through the front of it. He then turned to us and answered Jacob as the bus started to move off.

"My...my name's Azr- Az. My name's...Az," he said, almost nervously.

"Don't like talking much?" I asked. He shrugged, reaching up to scratch his head.

As he did so, I saw something on his wrist. As he scratched, I got a closer look at it. It was a gold and silver chain bracelet with a small symbol on it. The symbol looked like one of those things that the Grim Reaper carries. What are they called...scythes. Az had a scythe on his bracelet.

"Nice bracelet," I said, unable to think of anything else to say.

"Oh...thanks. I got it when I was in...in Ireland. This man on the street gave it to me," Az said, glancing at it and then into my eyes. My heart started to beat a bit faster when his beautiful eyes met mine.

"Oh, well that's...that's interesting. And unique," I added, stuttering. Jacob gave a little stifled laugh.

Suddenly, the bus came to a stop in front of the school. Az stood up, stretching widely and cracking his knuckles. He loaded his backpack onto his back.

"Well, it...it was nice meeting you...Jacob and, er...Emma. I'll...I guess I'll...I'll see you around," he said, quickly walking away.

"A little nervous, but he seemed nice," I said as he walked away.

"Az...what an odd name. Well, that doesn't change the fact that you were all over him," Jacob said with a mischevious grin.

I punched him on the shoulder as he started breaking down with laughter. We got off the bus and walked towards the doors. I saw Az standing on the steps, watching us closely. I gave him a thumbs-up, and he gave a nod before walking off through the doors.

________________________________________________________________

Ok, this was a new endeavour, making this, so tell me what you think! Comment, vote, fan! =D