Chapter 19

My heart was hammering in my chest. I opened my mouth, whimpered and then closed it. Tears were threatening to spill. I had no more strength left and from the looks of the place there wouldn't be good news. I finally payed attention to the figure on the windshield of my car and then noticed it was breathing. Hard. The thing that threw me off was the blood. So much blood.

The figure lifted up the it's head and that's when I noticed the hair. Even though she was covered in blood from her lips to her neck I would recognize her anywhere. Even if her eyes were in hunt mode, I recognized Sam. I held in a cry and I quickly opened the door. Sam would never hurt me and I had to get to the bottom of what had happened here as I was gone.

"Sam?" I whispered as I neared her trembling body on the windshield. Using her inhuman speed she turned to face me and her face was inches from mine. She growled slightly.

"Sam," I said with more certainty. She began to blink a couple of times and then she finally looked normal.

"Allison?" she whispered in shock. She laughed and hugged me, but then her body began to shake. She was crying. "I'm so sorry. Oh God, what have I done?" she cried and held onto me tighter.

"Sam, what happened here?"

She hiccuped and then pulled away from the hug and opened her mouth to speak. She quickly closed it and then shook her head. She put a finger up to her lips and then held out her other hand. I took it and she quickly slung me over her shoulder. She ran with inhuman speed and then that's when I felt the ground tremble. I turned around to look at the car and noticed that there was a zombie on the top. Except...it was huge! My eyes widened and I quickly took in the surroundings. I looked to the building where all the strange noises had been coming out of that one day and noticed that the doors were wide open. We neared what used to be the dorms and I wanted to cry. There was blood, limbs, and mangled bodies. Something terrible had happened here and deep down I mourned.

I couldn't shake the feeling that Sam had been a part of this. I didn't want to believe so, but the evidence was compelling. I knew that whatever had done this to the people hadn't been human and Sam was covered in blood. Her mouth was covered in blood. Was there flesh?

I tried to look inconspicuous as i leaned over and tried to examine her teeth. She flinched and I saw a   glimmer of hurt in her eyes.

"The blood is from animals. I had to keep myself under control somehow. With all that has happened recently and the relocating of the survivors. I needed to get away and find myself some food." she whispered.

"Where are the others?" I asked and gulped. Please. Please let my family be alive. I had gotten lucky once with my brothers. Is it too much to ask for another chance? For my whole family to be okay?

Sam nodded and then continued to lead me away from the weird mutated zombie. I closed my eyes and then we ended up on the roof. I looked down at the area and was confused at the sight I was seeing. There was a zombie hanging on one of the walls of a building and it looked like it was, sniffing possibly? I flashed back to the incident with Andy and when he had cut himself. There had been a zombie on the roof and it had almost killed me. Could they be similar?

"Sam what the hell happened here?" I asked and turned around to face her. Her head was tilted to the side and her eyes were flickering left to right.

"Not now. Trust me you have no idea how much I want to tell you. But right now we aren't safe here. We need to ge you somewhere safe," she replied and then held out her hand.

I nodded and then smiled.

"I trust you."

She grinned happily and I closed my eyes and let the world fade from around me. Was it selfish for me to wish the rest of the camp dead just to see my family alive and well? Was it bad that I was hoping that Alec was dead? Maybe just a little. I mean he was a douche, he would deserve it right? I felt bad and then tried to shake the thought away. I wish death to no one. But I sure as hell wish life to my family.