Chapter 17

I looked the zombie right in its one eye. The other half of its face had rotted away, and its eyelid drooped so low it looked as if it was part of its mouth. I was holding in the girlish scream that was building up in my throat. Its jaw opened up and prepared to clamp down on my arm. Its head was pierced by a stick and the zombies body collapsed onto me. I gasped in shock and blinked trying to get the zombie goop out of my face. My face was covered with blood, and gunk. I looked up and Viri stood there with a grim look on her face. There was a broken chair by her feet which was missing a leg. That's where Viri had gotten to stick from. She was cradling her injured arm and holding in tears. Blood was gushing out of her arm and we all knew it was too late for her. The bite was deep. 

I stood up slowly and used the wall to support myself. My legs were shaking and I was having trouble breathing regularly. 

"Come on, we have to get you out of here," Viri said. She walked over to one of the portraits in the room and slammed her fist into it. I looked at her strangely but when she pulled out a shotgun from the hole she had just punched I smiled. She could have just moved the portrait, but she had chosen the aggressive approach. She grimaced as she handed me the shotgun and began looking around the room. She opened up a drawer and there were socks in there. She grabbed one and began to wrap it around her wound. She bit her lip as she tied a knot and squeezed her wound even harder. 

"Fuck the bastard that bit me," she spat. "I didn't want to go like this." 

"I don't think anyone ever did," I sighed and she looked at me. 

Viri looked over at me and nodded.

"Lets get you home."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Earlier 

"I'll take point,"  I said to Viri and went in front of the whole group. The children stayed sandwiched between the two of us. The little girl was whimpering and the little boy stood there quietly without saying a word. I didn't have to be an expert to know that he was practically going into shock. 

I felt a tug on my shirt and I turned around to look at one of the children. "Why don't you have a weapon?" 

"Good question," I mumbled and looked at where we were. We were cautiously headed through an alleyway. Not the smartest thing to do in our situation but it was the closest cover we had. There was  a dumpster cap on the floor and I picked it up. I could bash a zombies head using this. Or at least knock it down  so we had a chance to get away. Viri was the one with the gun in the back. 

There was a door that led into one of the buildings and I held my breath as I grasped the door knob. Should I knock? 

I held in the urge to laugh. Knocking?

Hysterical. Not only would I attract zombies with the noise, but what if there were zombies in the building? 

I couldn't finish my train of thought because the door opened up and a woman stood there looking at us accusingly.

"Get in!" she hissed and practically threw us into the room. She looked at Viri and shook her head. "You should know better than to be wandering the streets, and especially with children." 

"Whatever," Viri said and looked away. VIri was usually so calm and collected. I had never seen her act so rude towards someone. It sort of shocked me. 

"You know her?" I whispered.

Viri nodded. "Sadly."

"I can hear you two!" she laughed and looked over at me. "Weren't you the one who was evaluated earlier today?"