Chapter 9

“I always channel my emotions into my work. That way, I don't hurt anyone but myself.” 

_____________________________

I looked down at his bandage and my smile turned into a frown. He was lucky to even be alive right now. He caught me eyeing his bandage and smiled slightly.

"Don't even worry. I actually got lucky compared to what happened to you. I don't have to have a cast. A few more days or weeks here, confined to this bed and I'll be as good as new. I'll be able to shoot and kill things." he whispered happily.

I continued to eye his bandage and then the star pendant caught my eye once again. Was it really his? Or was it from someone that he loved? I felt something twist in my gut and realized with a little bit of shock that what I was feeling was jealousy. Was I really jealous of the fact that there was someone out there that Wyatt loved? Someone out there that probably loved him as well? I continued to eye the pendant until I realized it looked like it was mocking me. Not knowing would totally haunt me. Wyatt's hand moved over and he blocked the pendant from view. I looked up and met his questioning gaze.

"Is that yours?" I asked curiously. 

"I don't really think you're ready to hear the story about this quite yet." he teased and then smiled uncomfortably.

"What? Did you steal it from your first zombie kill?" I joked but on inside I was hoping he'd tell me. He looked over at me once more and then instantly the warmth that had once been his eyes bled away. His eyes looked empty as he smiled at me. Now he was going back to being a jerk, great. I stood up from the chair by his bed abruptly, startling us both. 

"I think I should get back to the women's ward, you know how it is, can't be caught in the men's ward. Pip pip cheerio," I practically spat. I jerked up and then began walking away.

"Thanks for visiting, I appreciate it," he mumbled and then I turned once more to look at him. He was gazing down at the pendant. There were remnants of a smile on his face and then I turned away quickly. It looked more like a private moment, I didn't want to invade. As I walked out of the room I know already that he had cared about the person who gave him that. It was clear by the way he shut down when I joked about him getting it from a zombie. Still the question was only half answered. Did he have a thing with a girl? I sighed loudly and then continued to walk down the hall lost in thought; then I remembered. I'm not in the women's ward. 

Just as I was struck with that thought I walked out into the open and was met with a lot of questioning gazes.

Son of a weenie. I was caught.

________________________________

"What were you doing in the men's ward?" the guy with the beard asked me. I looked at his white beard and had the urge to touch it. I think I would like to call him Dumbledore. 

"I already told you a bunch of times. I decided that I wanted to visit the guy Wyatt from my group, he's my friend and I was worried about him. Nothing more than that." I breathed once more and sagged in my chair. I grimaced because the side of the chair rubbed up against my shoulder. 

"That's it?" he asked me and I nodded quickly. I wanted to get the hell out of here.

After I had been caught the men had held me in their interrogation room. Apparently they didn't take too kindly to people sneaking into their ward. Especially a woman. They had different people come in to talk to me until finally everyone who went out hunting returned. I hadn't even been let go to go see how everyone from my group was doing. It was unfair. This was about the time that I asked for my lawyer and then got myself out on bail. But the world is different now. They asked me if I smuggled any explosives or weapons to Wyatt. Or if I stole things. They didn't even trust us yet. Ouch. I was hurt.(note the sarcasm there) It all led back to the same question.