Chapter 18

There were four lonely zombies downstairs. Roaming. Viri took point and I followed close behind. She crept over to another door that was in the hallway and opened it slowly. We entered the room and she walked over to the window. She opened it and peered out. Viri motioned me over with her hand and I walked over to her side and peered over her shoulder. There was a ladder running down the wall and only two zombies in sight. I looked around the room and noticed a little shrine with a marble statue. It didn't feel right to bash a zombies face in with something so holy, but this was a life or death situation.  I walked over and picked it up.

"Marvin would kill you if he saw you were going to bash some zombies faces in with that." Viri chuckled. 

"This is his? I didn't think he was the religious type." I laughed.

"It's not something he likes to announce to the whole world. He thinks it would make him look like less of a man," 

I shrugged and walked over to the window. Viri was beginning to look really pale and she grasped the windowsill with shaky hands. 

"I'm not going to make it" she whispered and slumped against the wall. 

"Come on, we're almost out of this place," I said urgently and leaned over to help her up.  "I'll go down first and take care of the zombies in the area, then you follow, okay?"

She nodded and then I climbed down the ladder slowly. As the adrenaline coursed through my body I didn't even feel my hand bothering me. I felt like I was back to being the normal kick ass person I knew that I was. My breathing was ragged and the zombies were still unaware of my prescience. I stopped halfway down and then began to map out my next move. Well the aggressive approach normally works. I shrugged. I was already mad at the world anyway.

I jumped down from the ladder and landed in a crouched position. I came up behind one of the zombies and swung down with all my mite over its head. It slumped down and zombie goop flew in all directions. I grimaced and turned around to face the other zombie. It had heard the other zombie's body slump to the floor and was now facing me. It began walking towards me and I met it halfway. I swung upwards and the statue went clean through the zombies head. I attempted to pull it out but it was lodged inside of the zombies head. I cursed and let the zombies body fall to the floor. I clutched the shotgun which I had slung over my shoulder and surveyed the area. I didn't hear anything. 

I walked back to the ladder and did the signature I told Viri to wait for. I tapped three times on the ladder and her pale face appeared. She nodded and began to climb down slowly. 

I gulped and glanced through the alley once again. There were no more zombies in the area and I was hoping the town had taken care of the rest. The only reason we were leaving this way was because the house was being over run by zombies. Viri reached the floor and steadied herself on the ladder. She was beginning to sweat profusely and her eyes were beginning to droop. 

"Stay awake, come on," I said encouragingly. She nodded and was only half listening to what I had to say.

"Parking lot, not too far from here," she rasped and coughed. I nodded and felt a surge of excitement. I was going to get home. But at the same time I was overwhelmed with sadness and guilt. Viri had risked so much to help me, and now she was going to die. 

"Where to?" I whispered and Viri pointed the other way. Which meant we'd have to pass by the front of the house. Just great. I cursed and then nodded. 

"Stay close," I said and began walking. I clutched the shotgun to my body and whenever the wind rustled something nearby I felt as if I was going to jump out of my skin. I continued until I was at the corner and I peered out in the area. I didn't see any zombies, but I could hear some shuffling. I turned around to look at Viri. She glanced up at me and smiled tiredly. She began coughing once again , but this time she coughed up blood. It sprayed all over the wall nearby and splattered on my cheek. I flinched and couldn't keep the shocked look from my face. Suddenly the shuffling I had been hearing was headed in our direction.