Chapter 15

I groaned and wanted to cry out in pain. My skull felt as if there were tiny people inside, hammering their way to the outside. I opened my eyes a crack and couldn't make out much of my surroundings. I was in a dark room that appeared to have no windows. But on the bottom part of the door there was a slit. I crawled over, clutching my injured arm to my chest. I guess I must've landed on it or something because at the moment it was throbbing along with my head. The slit was to small to see anything, but I tried to press as much of my face up against it to get some fresh air. I took a huge breath and then the smell from the air hit me. I recoiled and had to resist the urge to vomit. It smelled like decomposing flesh and other unimaginable things.

Why were they doing this? I heard footsteps nearing the door and I scooted as much as I could away from the door. It slightly opened up and the woman stepped in. She was holding a platter which seemed to contain very little food. I snuck a glance before she closed the door and realized I was in a place located near their evaluation field. Would I have to make it through that very field? Would I have to fight for my life? The woman had a flashlight on her belt and she turned it on, surveying the room she walked over to a wall and flicked the switch. Instantly the room was filled with light, instantly making my headache worse. I cried out in pain and curled up into a ball. 

"Sorry, your eyes must've just began to adjust to the dark," she mumbled. 

"It's okay," I rasped. "My head is just killing me."

She sighed and then set the food down in front of me. "Look, I know that at first while arriving here it seems very overwhelming and all but after a while you'll get used to-"

"No! I can't stay here. I have my own family, my own friends, my own group. Please you have to let me go! Why do you even stay here? I could take you with me to my people, they would help you and you would be safe there. It's much more....normal"

She laughed and turned away. "You still believe in normal? I've been wanting to leave for months now, but he's all I have. He's my brother. He takes care of the people here, even if his methods are a bit questionable."

"A bit? I'm sorry to insult your brother and all but he's a tab bit crazy," I laughed. I flinched and wrinked my eyebrows. My headache and arm were killing me. She looked down at me and then cleared her throat. She pulled something out of her belt and I heard the sound of tablets. She poured some onto her palm and then handed them to me.

"So you aren't completely defenseless," she mumbled. 

"Defenseless?" I said as I took them into my hand and swallowed them. She handed me a cup of water from the platter. 

"You got to make the run honey, your other people tried it this morning as you were asleep." 

How had I slept through that? That must mean they're alive right? I didn't wake up to their screams or the sound of feeding.... 

"Did they make it?"

She continued to stare at me.

"DID ANY OF THEM MAKE IT?" 

"I'm so sorry, for everything," she whispered and walked quickly to the door. 

"WAIT! I said, what's your name?" I asked curiously. If I was going to die, might as well know the name of the woman who was so kind to me and practically delivered me to my death. Hey, why not? 

She smirked, "My name's Viri. Yours?"

"Allison," I mumbled. "Someone might as well know." 

With that said, she closed the door and I heard her retreating footsteps. I looked over at the food they had brought and discovered that I was ravenous. With a desperation I had never felt before I began to shovel the food into my mouth. Even if it wasn't the best tasting it still felt so good to at least gain some of my energy back.