CH 12

I saw the lights were on so I guessed they were at home. I looked inside the window and saw Ellie and her mom sitting at the table with heaps of fruits. I seldom saw Ellie wear a hoodie, but I had to say she looked really good. It was casual but she still looked cute as usual. I could see Ellie's profile. They were talking but Ellie didnt have any emotional on her face.  Her mom leaned forward, looked like she was asking Ellie something and Ellie smiled a little. The smile was not real though. I knew it because i saw it when I came for dinner last time. She went downstairs while faking a smile. I knew it was fake because I had seen her being happy before. When she hung out with me, I could see her real smile. It seemed like she just tend to hide her feelings in front most of the people, including her parents...

I didn't want to interrupt their conversation since it seemed like they were talking something that was serious, judging from Ellie's mom facial expression, so I figured I should just kept waiting outside for a little bit. After ten minutes, they both stood up and cleaned up the table. I kept waiting until Ellie finished picking up the last dish and I walked to the doorsteps, pressing the doorbell. I waited for seconds and her mom opened the door.
"Hi, mrs.Montgomery." I said.
"Oh, hi! Jai. Looking for Ellie?"

"Um, yeah."

"Why don't you come inside first? Ellie's doing the dishes, I'll get her." Her mom smiled at me warmly.

"Thank you."

Her house was as comfy as I remembered, classy, but not too fancy. I was in the dinning room and I heard classical music again. I didn't remember Ellie said she listened to classical music. Who else played classical music at home these days? Their parents must like classical music a lot.

"Ellie, Jai's here!" I heard her mom's voice from the other room.

Suddenly, I saw Ellie walking out from the other room and quickly trotting up the stairs without looking at me.
"Ellie, where are you going? Jai is here!" her mom raised her voice, not angry though.
"I KNOW, JUST WAIT A SECOND!" Ellie shouted from upstairs, sounding a little panic. I didn't know what was going on.
"Do you want to have some chocolate chip cookies while waiting for Ellie? I just baked some." Her mom asked.
"Yeah, sure." I replied.

Her mom walked away and but then she turned around.
"Why stand up? You can sit down. Make yourself at home."

Her mom was just really different from her dad. It was comfortable to talk to her. I could tell her mom was more open-minded and free-spirited.

While I was waiting, I looked around. The kitchen was not really next to the dinning room obviously so the house was probably bigger than I thought, but it seemed like their family tried to keep it low when it came to the decoration, since I didn't see things like chandelier or rotating stairs.

Her mom came with a jar of cookies and she sat down.

"Thank you." I said.

I picked one, putting it in my mouth and chewed it. I didn't know homemade cookies were so amazing. It jus blew me away.
"This is really good, Mrs.Montegamery." I said.

"Glad you like it. I guess im not bad for starters" Her mom said.

After finishing it, I started to eat the second one. Her mom started to eat too. I heard footsteps coming from upstairs and Ellie finally came down.
"Jai, why didn't you tell me you are coming?" Ellie asked.
"So I can say surprise?" I said, putting my both hands up.

"Ellie, did you go upstairs just to do your makeup? Honey...." her mom said.
"No, I didn't..."  Ellie looked at her mom embarrassingly and then looked at me.

I just saw her without makeup before I came in and she looked perfectly fine.

"All right" Her mom said and grabbed the keys and purse on the table. "I'm going to your aunt's. I promised her once I learn how to make chocolate chips cookies I will teach her. She wants to do something different on Lily's birthday party tomorrow by making cookies by herself. "

"Are you going to the party?" Ellie asked.
"No, I wish I could. But I had some work to do. Why don't you go with Jai? Your aunt said you can bring friends."

"Yeah, I'd love to go!" I said excitedly and Ellie smiled at me.

"All right, behave." Her mom said and left. Her mom was surely a cool parent since she left us at house alone, but it was not like I was going to try anything anyway. Please, I wouldn't even think of it. I was never that kind of guy.
"What were you doing upstairs?" I asked.
"Just....checking my phone." Ellie said. I just wanted to embarrass her because she even looked cute when she was embarrassed. Gosh, how obsessed i had become...

"Who called you? Your boyfriend ? " I asked and I couldn't help but laughed so loud. She picked up a cookie, trying to stuff it in my mouth.
"Eat your cookie!" Ellie had this serious face but she couldn't maintain it. She eventually burst out laughing.
This was the happy Ellie I'd like to see.
"Yeah right, like I would have a boyfriend!" Ellie said and took a sip of water. So my guess was right, she didn't have a boyfriend.

"Why there's bubble in your water?" I asked. I knew she only drank water but it looked like soda or something.
"It's called sparkling water."
"What do you mean?" I asked. I had never drunk sparkling water before. I might heard it before but I forgot what it was. I couldn't remember. She went to take a new glass and pour the water in it. She handed the glass to me and I took a sip. Ew, it tastes so weird. It's like...the mix of soda and water. Ellie smirked. I was probably having this weird twisting face, the face you made when you had something that was really sour.
"So what brings you here?"
"I was just at the supermarket, picking some food for my mom, so I thought I might just stop by."

"That's really sw-" I knew Ellie was just about to say 'sweet' but then she closed her mouth lightly.

"So how did you do on the exams?" I asked, trying to change to subject. I didn't even need to ask actually.
"It's okay. How about you?" Her okay probably meant A.

"Did you get....let me see...90 on trig again?"
"Umm...yes." Ellie said shyly. I swear trig was the most annoying thing on earth. All the things we learned from high school would never be used in the future. Therefore, I just didn't see the point of going to school. Seriously, when you go shopping, did you really use trig? It was not like everyone was going to be an engineer or whatever the fuck it was so why we needed to learn all these shit.
"I'm suck at math, so yeah, I got 30 and history, bio, science, English... were as bad as well." I sighed.
"I think im going to fail." I said.
"Umm, if you want, I can tutor you."
"That would be awesome!"

"When do you want to start, now?" Ellie asked. Surely Ellie would want to do homework stuff on vacation. I didn't want to study at all but I liked to spend time with her so it didn't matter what we do, I could still be joyful when I was around her.

"Let me get my books." Ellie stood up.
"Are you going to check your phone again?" I said, trying not to laugh again.
"Jai, stop!" Ellie said and laughed at the same time.
________________________

If you like this chapter, please vote, thanks :)