Time

George's fingers attempted to nervously entangle with the hair that used to fall past his neck.It'd become a habit over time but the royal flying corps didn't allow long hair so all he did was let his hand lay there.The little velvet box was like a hot coal burning a hole straight through his pocket.The longer he waited the more the tension grew,the faster his heart beat in his chest.He forced himself to take a deep breath in,eyes shutting as he thought of everything that brought him to that moment.

It had all started so simply,one visit years ago.They could have stayed estranged for the whole stay and both their lives would have played out so much differently yet they became friends.He kept every letter she wrote and she had done the same for him.After two years they were reunited and that time she stayed.The rest flashed before his eyes.Splashing in the river together her smiling at him before the scene changed.Her face as she stared down in complete wonder at the library from the railing.The morning they confessed to each other...and then he was back on the roof drinking stolen gin and dancing by candlelight she pulled him closer lips so close to touching.And before he knew it he was flung into the air,witnessing the glittering party below as warm light spun around him.When his feet his ground they were in the training circle again,sparring with her as his mother scalded him on getting sidetracked.

The sound of footsteps coming closer roused him from his memories as the anxiety that had been momentarily quelled flared up again,it's claws of raking through him.

Elizabeth rounded the corner,it was now or never.He reminded himself to be careful not to squeeze the bouquet of roses hidden behind his back too hard.

"Lovely day isn't it."Her voice had that characteristic briefness she always spoke with.It did not carry any cutting curtness though she definitely could have,instead it gave the air of simple enjoyment.Like she was too busy enjoying the day to say anymore.And she was right to be,the garden around them boomed with elegant peonies,their petals tinged with their soft pink blush and deep crimson roses with their texture like rich velvet,Fragrant rosemary filled the air with it's pleasant scent.It was a perfectly calm day,a complete contrast to the storm of fear that raged inside him.

"Yes it really is.And for such a beautiful girl."He offered the bouquet of pink and red roses,mustering up all the courage he had.

"Oh George,you didn't have to."She smiled warmly,taking the flowers.

"Well maybe not...but it makes this part easier."He could faintly hear his heartbeat in his ears as it worked to beat right through his chest as he dropped down onto one knee and retrieved the velvet box.

"Elizabeth."He looked up at her hopefully."All your life you've only ever been regarded by your first name.Would you allow me the honor of calling you Mrs.Joestar?"The sound of his heart pounding grew defining in the silent moment that stretched between them.

Worry crept back in before she finally responded."Of course I will."She smiled down sweetly.Before she could do anything else he swept her up into his arms,embracing her tight and spinning in joy.When they were both stationary again she added cheekily."I thought you'd be too scared to ask.I was almost gonna propose myself."He laughed lightly."It's not fair to make you do all the work."

When they came inside to tell the rest the house his mother was ecstatic.She swung her arms around her son to hug him tight and tell him how proud she was before she let go to give her daughter in law-to-be an equally excited statement of pride.

He held onto her shoulders as her icy eyes met Elizabeth's"You grew to become such a fine lady,there's no doubt in my mind that you two will be happy together."Robert stood behind her stoically sniffling and quietly rubbing at misty eyes.

The time to prepare for the wedding seemed to go by in the blink of an eye.Dresses were picked out and the venue chosen.Before they all knew it,it was the day of the ceremony.