Rainstorm

George laid with his hair messily splayed out across the pillows.Absentmindedly listening to the calm pitter-patter of heavy drops hit the roof and the deep,crackling roar of thunder.He just laid there,half of his face smushed into the soft mattress and dark strands draping themselves over the other half of his face.He should have probably gone back to sleep but it felt better to just be there with his thoughts.It was a strange feeling as he recounted the prior day with as much clarity as he could.

They had to get up early to wash clothes,when that was finished he had that weird moment like he wanted the world to freeze around them.He couldn't explain it or rationalize it away.Then they left and headed out to Ricky's and when she'd proven Her hamon to him when she held him like a bride.His heart thumped louder in his chest.He blamed it on the fall but was it really that simple?Hell,it's rhythm quickened at the mere memory.And then when her hand was laid on his...

Did he have romantic feelings for Elizabeth?

His mind went further back to their letters.It didn't seem like it when he was younger but looking back he could see it more as a chain of events.How he always waited for them.How his heart would race seeing her writing.Those two years felt like nothing in retrospect and he knew without a doubt he'd endure another two if it meant seeing her again.His nerves were on end and a heavy pit of dread settled in his stomach.Did that mean he really had romantic feelings for her?If so,things would definitely not end well,She was amazing and far too good to ever be interested in any way with somebody so ordinary as him.She would never return those feelings,if he really did love her.

Less pressing than that,he might have to cough up ten pence for losing that stupid bet with Levi.

It was probably good that Elizabeth was off doing her 'lady training' with mother,lest he realize that while they were off doing something and he'd have to deal with that kind of sticky situation.

There was a light knock on the door before he heard his mother's voice.

"Elizabeth and I going over dance steps in the library,I was wondering if you would mind being her partner..."

He sighed.'Shit.'

"I'll be out in a bit Mother,just let me get some more proper clothes on."

He arrived at the door of the library,it was small but there was a section clear from shelves that could've been used for dance.He knocked on the door,only for it to open at the slightest sound. Elizabeth let him in and his mother stood near the phonograph.The light flitting through the windows allowed brief glimpses of passing dust particles in the air.As well as they'd cleaned the house it seemed that the library was just going to be that way.

"Alright,now you stand over there and take your places,I'll tell you what to do."She pointed to the clearest part of the room.He took his place with Elizabeth as his mother let the phonograph play.She posed them like dolls and directed them on the steps to take.

"Now step in time with the music."

Thankfully,it was a slower song.He still kept his eyes down just in case of any trips of stumbles.Slowly,the music picked up and as despite the lack of experience he had with dancing it was fun.He looked up from the floor to see Elizabeth's face it seemed different though.Not that she looked angry all the time,but she always had a kind of sharpness to her,intimidating he supposed.Now she looked calm,lips curling upwards softly.A fuzzy feeling arose in his chest,he couldn't help returning it with a bashful grin,his cheeks burned.She moved with impressive fluidity,her steps were elegant yet bold.They stayed like that for a while,dancing contentedly in the library.Her radiant smile turned to a playful smirk as she made a move to twirl him like a proper lady.