The Training Forest

The tranquil morning felt hazy with the sleep that clogged his senses.He kept his eyes shut and pulled the covers closer.His consciousness attempted to dissipate again and return the distant realm of dreams but just as he was to slip away from the world someone began knocking on the door.Instinctively,he answered.

"Come in."His voice a deep,bullfrog-like croak and his tone was distant.The door creaked and he squinted his eyes open.There stood Elizabeth neatly dressed in one of her training outfits and giggling to herself.His long hair was mussed and suck out at every angle,drool hug at the corner of his mouth,and the morning sunlight flitting through the window was way too bright.

"Do you need something?"The rumble of sleep was slowly but surely leaving his voice as he spoke.

"I was wondering if you'd like to go on a walk with me."There was something strange about the way she spoke.Not small or shy just different than she normally did,like she was occupied by other thoughts.

He sat up in his bed,Acutely aware of how disheveled he looked.She let out a tiny snort at that."I wouldn't mind going on a walk.Just let me uhh..."He gestured to himself.She nodded and stalked out and closing the door behind her.

They left as soon as he was properly dressed.He let her lead him into the forest.The dappled rays of sunshine splotched across their faces.He had no idea where she was taking him but honestly couldn't care.He knew these woods well but why was she bringing him here?She walked forward in silence,never looking back.A sense of tension slowly bled into the atmosphere and his own fears came to flood his mind soon after.She'd probably noticed he was acting different hell,she was most likely taking him out here to tell him that she doesn't feel the same way and would like to leave England and never hear from him again.The idea of it stung like he'd been cut by shards of broken glass.

Unbeknownst to him the scenery changed as they proceeded further along.Blades of grass streaked higher and foliage grew so thick it nearly blotted out the sun.Flowers bloomed all around,bittersweet and black-eyed Susan lining the path with holly bushes peeking up over the Swaths of grass and clustered trees.They entered what more or less would be clearing if not for the trees that seemed to line the ring,their branches grew intertwined with one another forming a cage around the circle of heavily-trodden earth.Only a single beam of light seemed to shine through a hole in the top,It seemed mystical in how it illuminated the area.A few large,smooth boulders lined the edges of the ring.How come he'd never seen this place before?Could it be that over the hundreds of times he'd passed through these woods that he'd never passed by here?He sat down and watched as she silently began to box with an imaginary opponent.Her jabs quick and her dodges even quicker.With every forceful punch there was a heavy resonating crack like thunder that split through the clearing's air.She seemed disinterested though,her hits had no passion behind them,no gritting teeth or gaze fixed in the moment.She continued going but could not shake the apathy.

She stopped with a heavy sigh that his gut drop,this was it,she was going to tell him to leave her alone forever.

She stood there silent for a while.The tension grew,not even the birds chirped in the absence of her voice.

She tried to start,paused,and sighed again.Every nerve in his body was on end.

"I..."her voice faltered as the words refused to come out.He forced himself to ease if only to still her nerves for what inevitably would come.

with a deep breath she puffed out her chest."We have known each other for some time now."She finally started with more confidence."And as difficult as it is for me to admit..."

She closed her eyes for a moment before opening them again."I have noticed the appearance of certain feelings that I have for you.I don't expect you t-"