Against All Odds

Chapter Twenty Seven

The morning sunshine peered through the forest trees it tainted the clouds with an orange heat and a pink breeze as lavender blended somewhere in the middle.  As the light invaded the large windows of his living room, Dathan felt the faint heat of the morning kiss his skin.  He sighed a light breath as he watched the icy coating on his front lawn melt into glistening dew.  Last night he had paced his living room floor as his heavy footsteps echoed off the empty halls and down the corridor.

"Shall I bring you some tea Sir?" one of his newest maids offered.  Dathan never pried his eyes from the window and simply shook his head as he placed his hands behind his back.  He stood in a pair of long leathered boots, black trousers and a light cotton white shirt, something out of his usual wear.

"Your horse is ready to be ridden Sir, shall I bring it to the front door or will you be going to the stables?" yet another servant asked.

"I will be residing at home. I have no intention of riding to the fields today." He replied.

"What shall I tell the workers?" he shyly asked, his dark brown eyes never leaving the carpet floor.

"Inform them to do their share of the day then send them off home; that will be all." He replied.  The servant simply nodded and departed in haste, clearly wanting to be away from his master's presence.  Little did they know he was no longer the harsh and cruel man he once had been.  When the servant's footsteps faded he relaxed a little, his eyes still scoping every visible part of his front lawn.  Quickly his thought's trailed to the same old task and he stood a little straighter.

What if she changed her mind? It had been nearly a dreaded week and still there was no sign of a letter or her.  He growled as he looked out the window again and fisted his hands. Patience is the key, he told himself.

Suddenly the faint trotting of horses was heard and his eyes searched the dirt road for any sign of rising dust nearby.  He watched as the cloud grew bigger and his heart hammered louder each time the black stallion horses drew nearer.  In haste he hurried towards the front door evading a maid walking by with a large basket filled with laundry.  She yelped as he rushed past her and apologized before he made for the door once again.

The young lad hopped off his horse reaching into his satchel to retrieve the letter he had for his master. "A letter for you sir," he said.

He tried to look calm as his trembling hand gave away his excitement and he reached for it thanking the young boy.  He walked patiently up the steps and once he reached the top floor he rushed over to his study quickly cracking the seal that held the letter 'W' in the melted red wax.

Scarlett had finally set a date to come and Dathan could not help but let a huge grin fill his face.  A week had passed and he thought she would reconsider, but to hear that she was coming after all made his day.  Heading towards his room Dathan placed the letter into his neatly clean drawer. She would be arriving in exactly two day's and the idea of having her back made him panic suddenly.

He hadn't thought of any way to keep Scarlett overnight, he had been so caught up with having the letter arrive that he had completely forgotten.  He felt his body heavy at the tough of losing her indefinitely.  There had to be a way to prove to her that he did truly loved her.  Confessing had not convinced her at all it had only made her think that he loved her out of pity.  Which was not the case at all, Dathan had fallen in love with Scarlett because of her inner beauty, besides the fact that she was beautiful.  He thought about her big brown eyes and the way her dimples showed every time she smiled and it made him grin like a complete fool in love.