15: A Talk with Pan

"Are you mad that I wasn't your little errand girl?" Was the first thing that came out of my mouth.

Peter flicked off a peck of dirt from his shoulder, "No, I expected as much. But I thought you wanted answers."

I raised my eyebrow, "I already know that I'm Wendy Darling's daughter. The only other answer I'm looking for is for a way to get off this island."

"Why are you so desperate to leave this island?" Peter scowled, "There is nothing for you to return to. You've been nothing but lost in the world until you came here. Even in the short time, you have to admit you fit in more here than back there."

"You're wrong..." I let my voice trail off.

"You're hesitating," Peter said, "Deep down you know I'm right."

I didn't say anything in turn. Being in Neverland gave me a sense of belonging.  

He just grinned at me, "You were always supposed to be here, Jess. Though I am starting to think that you have a death wish considering that you constantly find yourself facing some sort of danger. I'm not mad about that, it makes for great entertainment."

"You're the one who sent the monsters after me," I narrowed my eyes, "So I wouldn't call it getting into trouble."

"What matters is you fight back," Peter faced me, "You're the only girl I've met who won't shy away from danger. You might not realize it, but I do. You get a special light in your eyes when things get interesting. It's a lust for life not unlike my own."

"What are you trying to say?" I asked him suspiciously.

"I want you to be my Queen," Peter said aloud and I froze.

"Your what?"

"You heard me," Peter stood, "The Queen of Neverland. It does have a nice ring to it. I want you to be my right hand."

"I thought there were no kings and queens in Neverland."

"There isn't but that aside, I want you to be a leader alongside me. It's in your blood," Peter cupped my cheek.

Peter wasn't the Dark One, but I kept my wits. He was a demon in his own right. I was just a player in his little game. His proposal would guarantee me safety on this island, but that would also be losing. 

"Let me tell you a story, Jess," Peter began, "Long ago, the Shadow did something unprecedented. It brought a girl to the island along with her brothers.  As the three siblings spent more time on the island, they were given the opportunity to shed their societal upbringing. They embraced who they were in such glorious ways. The eldest was a girl named Wendy Darling."

At the mention of my mother, my expression hardened while Peter's only became brighter, "Never had I seen such emotion before. She viewed the world so optimistically. The magic was alluring. She was eager too, I'll give her that. If only I saw past that sweeet exterior, there was monster inside. She was just using me and conspired with the Annamay tribe to steal my power and leave the island. Soon they would learn that no one tricks Peter Pan."

Peter took a deep breath, "Flash forward and I vowed that I would never let anyone grow close to me. That is until I crossed paths with you."

"Me?"

Peter smiled and I widened my eyes noticing that his smile was unlike his previous ones. It was full of genuine emotion. He sighed, "When I heard from the Shadow that you were brought to the island, I'll admit I knew who you were. Being on the pirate's ship would be your first test. If you couldn't survive or coerced into being a pirate, you weren't going to be trouble. To my shock, I saw you escape the ship and into the jungle. You showed a level of tenacity and courage in the face of danger. When I met you face to face, you were truly radiant."