10: To Quell a Rebellion

Tinker Bell and I rushed through the woods with the hollers of the Lost Boys behind us. It was just like the first time. 

"What did you do?" Tinker Bell asked her, "I've never seen them this rabid since..."

"Wendy Darling?" I finished her sentence.

"You know?" The fairy asked surprised.

I nodded my head, "Yeah, I do. Only now I just learned how much hostility the boys hold towards her. I don't believe this is Peter's doing."

"It isn't," Felix's voice interrupts as the he appears in the clearing, "It was mine."

"Who knew the second in command would go rogue," Tinker Bell scoffed, "What do you hope to accomplish from this?"

"Pan does not have weaknesses," Felix proclaimed, "She is the weakest link. I refuse to let her mirror her mother and destroy us all."

"You've lost your mind," I argue, "I've never even met that woman much less want to emulate her."

I stepped in front of Tinker bell to catch a flying arrow. I snapped it half and Tinker Bell grabbed my hand. I looked at her confused and the fairy glanced at the boys, "We'd love to stay and chat, but I'm afraid we're going to have to head out."

She took out what seemed to be a smoke bomb and unleashed its power. The boys were easily disoriented and Felix barked at the boys, "Find them!"

"Come on," Tinker Bell pushed me down a hidden shoot at the base of a tree. 

"What is this?"

"The Underground tunnels," Tinker Bell answered, "They were created by a tribe that used to live on the island. They were built to allow travel throughout the island at night. It has since been forgotten. Most of the boys don't even know they exist. We should be safe for the time being."

"Good," I huff, "I'm exhausted from running."

I exhaled heavily and looked at the fairy, "Where did you go after we were taken to camp?"

"Pan let me go," Tinker Bell told me, "Since I don't work for him anymore. I keep my distance, he keeps his from me. It benefits the both of us since we don't have to ever cross paths."

"But you left me there alone," I reply, holding a grudge.

"I'm sorry about that," Tinker Bell softened her gaze, "I guess that isn't what a friend does."

"No, it isn't," I reply flatly, "I'm feeling much more rested now. We should keep moving."

Tinker Bell nodded her head. The pair continued moving forward. While we walked, I had one burning question I had to get off my chest.

"Say Tink?"

"Yeah?"

"Did you know Wendy Darling?"

"..."

"Tink?"

"I did."

"What did you think of her?"

Tinker Bell stopped walking and her blue eyes looked at me, "Do you want me to be honest?"

I nodded my head. 

"Wendy Darling was everything but noble. She was selfish and had no regret towards the people she hurt. She was a cunning woman who I am glad to be rid of on this island."

"So, he wasn't lying."

"I'm sorry, Jess."

I shook my head, "No, it's fine. I needed to hear the truth anyways."