Chapter 8

MDA: Ch. 8

CLARISSA'S POV

I ended up being sick for two days. Fancy that, one of the strongest werewolves alive was sick for two days because of a little rain. The days were pretty boring. I was just laying in bed reading, until it appeared. A golden envelope. It appeared this morning, sitting tucked under my window. I stared at it for what seemed like hours.

I hesitantly took it in my hands, turning it over to see the silver ink spelling '~Celina Heart~'. I ran down the stairs and stumbled into the kitchen. I actually had to catch my breath before I show mum the letter, I was that anxious. That's where I am now, slightly out of breath.

Mum's in the middle of making breakfast, but she completely freezes up when she sees what's in my hands.

"Where did you get that?" She asks, snatching the letter from my hands and examining it closely. Her hands delicately turn it over, her eyes taking in every detail of her name, as if she could unravel the mystery from some silver ink.

I cough a few times before answering hoarsely and unevenly, "It... was on... my... window."

I start coughing after that. Mum takes me in her arms and leads me back to my room. Ok, so maybe I'm not completely healed, but I'm not too sick either. I'm strong enough to do what I normally would.

Mum mind links Jett, Dylan and dad to come home straight away. Within 20 minutes, all three males are in my room and staring at the golden letter with a death glare, just like the first time.

Mum shakily takes it in her hands after staring at it for 15 minutes and opens it, ripping it perfectly. She pulls out the shining, white paper and skims her eyes over it. I see her gulp, but she opens her mouth to read it anyway,

"Dear Celina Heart,

It has come to my attention that your darling daughter has been sick. However, you leave her alone still. I'm warning you now, secrets are being kept. Not only by me though, oh no. Your darling daughter has something to tell you. Remember: the sweetest of smiles hold the darkest of secrets."

There was that saying again. The messenger had said it to me on my first encounter and now it's in the letter. I don't understand what's going on...

Dad's fuming, but he's not fuming at me like I expected him to be for keeping a secret. He's fuming at the letter. Mum tries to soothe him when his body starts to shake and his eyes turn black, but he just storms out the room. A few moments later, his howl echoes throughout the woods, sending every creature within a 100 kilometer radius running for the hills. Mum sighs and rubs her eyes, looking like she just wants to curl up in bed, much like how I'm feeling. Jett and Dylan are still in the room and looking at me with narrowed eyes.

Secret... Secret... Secret...

What secret am I keeping? What could possibly be a secret that's so big that I'm hiding it from my family?

Then it hit me: Lionel. Lionel Lockhart. My mate.

"Lis, what the hell did-" Jett starts angrily to say, only to be cut off by mum.

"Boys, go and follow your father. Make sure he doesn't accidentally do something he'll regret." Mum interjects, giving the boys a stare that screams 'Do what I say or else'. Jett's eye twitches, but he exits the room with Dylan behind him. Dylan gives me one fleeting glance before finally disappearing pass the door.

It's silent for a very long time, the only sound being our breathing. I glance at mum. Her face is neutral, but her eyes are what get me. Usually mum's eyes are the window to her soul. You can see every little emotion pass through them without even looking. Mum always says that if you can trust yourself to showcase your emotions, then you're strong enough to forget what people think of you. Now though, her eyes are void of any emotion, the usual shining gold seems almost dull and the liveliness that is always on the surface is gone.