Chapter 10

MDA: Ch. 10

CLARISSA'S POV

I fidgett nervously as I wait for Lionel. Mum made us all dress nicely. I don't know why, it was supposed to be a casual dinner.

Mum had announced to the boys, without my knowledge or consent, that my mate was coming over for a family dinner. As you can imagine, it didn't go very well.

*flashback*

"You have a mate!" Jett yells while storming into my room. I stare at him shocked, stopping midway through brushing my hair. How- Who- Mum!

"You have a mate!" It's dad this time as he follows Jett into my room. They both seem peeved off and a tad upset. Ok, very upset.

Then Dylan bursts into my room, but he seems... happy?

"You have a mate!" He practically squeals like a teenage girl, pushing pass dad and Jett to engulf me in a hug. I stand frozen in absolute shock. It's gotta be mum, she's the only one that knows.

"Clarissa Rosemary Night, you found your mate and you didn't tell us!" Dad booms. I open and close my mouth like a fish, having no clue what to say. What do you say? Damn that letter and damn my mother.

"I- I-" I stutter, blinking rapidly as if they'll disappear and none of this ever happened. I can see it in dad's eyes, he knows this was the secret I was keeping. I didn't dare look into Jett's.

"Here's your mother telling us dress all spiff and spam because your mate is coming 'round for dinner and you didn't utter a single word!" Dad yells again, angrier than I've ever seen him. Even when he read the first letter.

I glance at Jett and I really wish I didn't. He's seething, his eyes switching from black to silver constantly. Seeing my big brother fighting for control when he never has to makes something inside me click and I blurt out without even thinking, "I didn't tell you because he's a rouge!"

The whole room goes silent as I hold my breath. Dylan steps away from me to stand on the other side of dad that Jett isn't occupying. I glance at him to see him almost hurt by my reveal. What did I expect though? For them to be jumping with joy?

"Rouge?" Dylan asks quietly. I nod my head, dropping my eyes to the floor.

"I didn't want to tell you guys because I knew you would flip out. I just... wanted to have a moment with just him and me before everything else. I'm sorry." I whisper, moving over to my bed and plonking down on it like a sack of potatoes. I feel like it too.

My confession seems to make Jett even madder because a growl rips through the room before he storms out. Dad follows suit, but he doesn't growl, just seems very cautious and angry about it all. Dylan's the only one left in the room. I don't notice him come and take a seat next to me until his arms are wrapped around my shoulders.

"Hey, it's ok, you don't have to cry." He coos, rocking me back and forth. I sniffle, noticing the silent tears running down my cheeks. I bury my head in my brothers shoulder and release a cry that sounds like a dying frog.

"I knew they would react like this, Dylan! Why can't they just let me be happy!" I cry harder, tightening my hands into fists around his shirt. I'm still a little shocked that Dylan isn't reacting the same way. Or is he? He's probably acting the same as Jett right now, but on the inside.

"They're just worried, Clarissa. They don't want you getting hurt, none of us do." He replies, rubbing a hand up and down my back. I'm not much of a cryer, but when I am, it's always in front of mum or Dylan. I hate crying in front of Jett and dad because they just seem so... above it. Dad's an alpha and Jett's becoming an alpha. I don't want to show either of them weakness, it makes me feel low.