Chapter 1: The First encounter

Let's start at the beginning. My sister had a thing for wrestling, so I wasn't surprised when she asked me to join WWF. Now, I haven't kept up with it as much as my sister had, but none of the jobs in town had any of my interests. I decided to give this a go.

How was I gonna do this when I didn't know a thing about the business? Well, I figured I'd go down to a SmackDown and view the wrestlers. I booked the first flight out to Birmingham, Alabama. In this day and age, airports are packed more than ever, due to business overseas, or war, or a getaway vacation. But in 2000, you'd be lucky to see about 3 people there.

The flight itself wasn't bad, except for some turbulence here and there. When we finally touched ground, I ran to my rental car, fixed my neat bun and glasses, and drove to the arena.

When I got there, I was greeted by several refs and event staff, asking if I was the new commentator for RAW and SmackDown. I shook my head and told them I was just there to observe. I got my purse out of the trunk and headed in.

Katy and 2 other people saw me. The one guy had blackish brown hair that rested on his shoulders. He had these brown eyes that showed concern. Oh lord, what did Katy do now?

The second guy was pretty damn handsome. He had some blonde in his hair, with red streaks here and there. He looked frustrated with the first man.

"Matt, I'm okay," the blonde said to the darker. Matt didn't seem to wanna hear it. "Damn. You know Christian is gonna be out there!"

I watched this exchange very carefully. When Matt told the blond that there was a life after wrestling, he looked ready to kill him. I giggled inwardly.

All of a sudden, Matt walked away leaving the one he called Jeff and Katy behind. I decided to walk up to them and introduce myself.

"Hi. I'm Ryah Hemmons." The sound of my voice startled the two of them.

"Ryah, I know you. Jeff, this is my sister, Ryah. Ryah, this is Jeff," Katy said.

"I know, I overheard the conversation," I laughed. "What Matt did sounds like something I'd tell my sister. Why can't you go out there anyway?"

"Concussion. I got hit really bad with two chairs at the same time." Jeff grimaced.

"Yea, that sounds like a legit reason to be back here."

"But you'll quickly find I don't listen to doctor's, or older brother's orders."

I laughed. "Niether does Katy. So I guess I'll see you out there then?"

"What do you mean?"

"Well, I'm filling in for one of the doctors. Secretly observing the talent. Train a little. That sort of thing."

"Oh? Is someone worried I'm gonna get hurt? Cause lemme tell you, being hurt is part of the job. Besides, I feel that I'm confident enough to go out there without my brother's permission."

"Ok Mr. Confident. You go on out there and show me how it's done."

"Gladly." He ran past Katy, who tried to yell for him to stay backstage, grabbed a ladder, and ran down to the ring. Katy gave me the death glare.

"What were you thinking?! I had one job tonight and you messed it up for me! I was supposed to keep him backstage for the match!" Katy ran off towards Jeff, leaving me to roll my eyes. I walked off towards the trainer's room. Once I did, the head trainer showed me where everything was and how it worked. Of course, being a nurse for years before deciding it wasn't for me anymore, I told her I knew where everything was.

A few moments later, I was getting everything set up, when I grabbed my beeper the head trainer gave me. It told me that someone was on their way back. In big bold letters it said:

Name: Jeff Hardy
Injury: aggravated concussion
Reason: failure to remain on ladder, slipped

I was shocked. I didn't know his injury was that bad. I put my beeper down and got the ice ready. Katy and Matt were gonna kill me.

I heard slow footsteps and stumbling coming down the hallway. I opened the door to see Jeff and two other trainers walking in. Jeff looked absolutely horrible. He stumbled towards the fruit basket and I caught him just in time.

"Easy there, boy." I helped him over to the table. I turned to the trainers. "Thanks boys, I got it from here."

"Okay." They both turned and left. I turned to Jeff, watching his eyes go one way to another. I let out an amused giggle.

"So, Mr. Confidence. What have we learned today?" He gave me what I was guessing was a glare, but was really more of his pupils meeting at his nose.

"V-Very funny. Ugh, where am I...." He tries to get up and stumbles down to the floor. I found the situation amusing. Matt and Katy walk in at that time. Matt looked ticked off at Katy and Jeff for not listening to him. I turned my head, suddenly feeling guilty for provoking him going out there.

"What did I tell you two! To stay back here where it's safe! You have a concussion and you could've died!"

"Sir, I don't think yelling at him will help." I spoke up for the first time. Matt looked at me and sighed.

"You're right, ma'am. I shouldn't be mad. I expected this from you. Not even Katy could hold you back." Katy hit his arm and glared at him. She bent down to pick him up, with my assistance. We got him back on the table and I grabbed the ice.

"This'll help with that nasty concussion." I slipped into my maternal voice, soothing him with every proclamation that the ice was cold.

Matt and Katy watched from a distance. "Um, Ry?"

"Yea, Kat?"

"We should call his girlfriend."

I was shocked at that last statement. Girlfriend?

This was an idea I had in my head for a day and I just had to get it down.