UNDER THREAT

Callie has always found comfort in sitting with her knees close to her chest, her arms wrapped around herself

Callie has always found comfort in sitting with her knees close to her chest, her arms wrapped around herself. She wasn't to sure why, but she knew that she wasn't exposed- it was a safety position, she felt safe.

Callie fiddled with the stray string attached to the end of her black hoodie, avoiding the eye contact Ms Morrell tried ever so hard to make. She didn't like the idea of speaking it out, not to mention Morrell could easily see through her lies.

'You know..when you're drowning you don't actually inhale until right before you black out' the brunette mumbled, wrapping the small string around her finger, a light purple emerging round the tip.

'It's called voluntary apnea. It's like no matter how much you're freaking out, the instinct to not let water in is so strong that you won't open your mouth untill you feel like your heads about to explode' Callie looked up at Morrell, a slight smirk on her glowing skin.

Morrell nodded with such simplicity, as if she knew it already- like she's had this conversation before.

Morrell was an intelligent girl, she knew what you were going to say before you even said it- she could read and understand you so well. With her long dark hair falling flat past her shoulders, her face sat neutral.

'And then when you finally do let it in, that's when it stops hurting' Callie sighed. She unraveled the string from around her finger, allowing the blood to pump through her again.

She didn't feel the cold or the numbness untill she saw what she was doing, the ring of white around the string. 'It's not scary anymore, maybe kinda peaceful' the brunette shrugged.

Cocking her head to the side, Morrell' hands fell to her hand swiftly. 'Are you saying that you hope Matt felt peace in his last moments?' Morrell vacillated.

She spoke softly, Callie felt her words were peaceful as she tried to break her walls down carefully. Callie shrugged, she didn't like anyone being in pain, but she argued with herself- did Matt deserve it? 

'I don't know' she mumbled, resting her chin on her knees, the cotton of her pyjama bottoms felt soft on her chin, Callie paused. 'Can you feel sorry for the 9year old Matt who drowned?' Morrell asked simply, her hand caressing her own cheek as she didn't dissolve the eye contact.

'I don't know, okay?' Callie snapped. She felt this brewing ball of pressure inside her chest that was slowly eating her alive. 'Sorry' she humbled, dropping a leg she led her head on her knee as guilt filed inside of her.

'Why did you snap?' Morrell queried, leaning forwards closer to the brunette. 'Because I don't know what I feel towards Matt, I don't know if some people chucked him into a pool when he couldn't swim justifies the right to kill them' Callie analysed.

She rubbed her face, feeling her skin tighten as the stress mounted up. 'Any other reason to not feel sorry for him?' Morrell raised her brow, as if she wanted these conflicting thoughts racing around Callie's mind to carry on.