Chapter Ten

Chapter Ten|The Party

Tony paused the tape. He turned to Harlow. "Are you absolutely sure you want to listen to this?" He asked her one last time. "I need to remember. Hannah saw everything. I have to be able to remember." She told him. He nodded and pressed play.

So here we are the brand new us. Living the same old life. I thought that starting over meant that maybe we didn't have to cut ourselves off completely. Maybe we'd been hanging with the wrong people.  Maybe we could start over. With the right person. But if we'd had known what was going to happen. If I had known... We never would've walked through that door.  If I had known what would happen. What that night had in store. We might have never walked through that door. But parties have a weird magic. They're like an alternate universe. They can make you believe that anything is possible. Maybe you do fit in after all.

*Flashback*
Hannah and Harlow had entered Jessica's house and the party was in full swing. The two spotted Clay across the room. They walked through the house to meet up with him. "Hannah Baker and Harlow Foley, there they are." Bryce said. Hannah smiled and Harlow laughed. At this point Harlow had seen Bryce as an older brother. She'd put what happened at The Blue Spot out of her mind.  Suddenly a few of the guys. Including Zach are chanting "Hannah, Harlow!" With excitement.
" I like your hair cuts by the way. They both look good." He said.  "Thank you." They both said. "I uh kegs out back. Get on it." He said in reply. before they turned and ran into Justin.
"Oh shit." He said as he turned back realizing it was Hannah and Harlow. "Sorry" He and Hannah said at the same time.

"Look who decided to show up." Jessica said to Justin as she appeared drink in hand giving him a kiss. Hannah looked at Harlow with a look. As if asking 'when the hell did that happen'. Harlow shrugged as Jessica and Justin made a big thing of them being a couple for two months. Justin left to get himself a drink. This is when Hannah and Harlow approached Jessica.

"You and Justin?" Hannah asked.

"Yeah Me and Justin why?" Jessica said.

"I mean not exactly why more like how?"  Hannah asked.

"Summer school. Harlow introduced us. Do I need your permission?" Jessica asked her face turned sour. Hannah turned to Harlow for a second. Harlow's eyes turned guilty.

"Do you remember what he did to me last year?" Hannah asked. Harlow got increasingly more uncomfortable by the minute.

"You guys weren't even technically dating." Jessica pointed out

"How is that even the point." Hannah said.

"Anyway Bryce is the one who sent the photo out." Jessica pointed out another fact.

"Yeah but Justin is the one who showed him." Hannah said as all three girls
looked away from each other.

"I'm sorry look. Ancient history aside just be careful okay." Hannah said sincerely.

"You're so sweet Hannah but I'm fine. I know what I'm doing."  Jessica said walking away.  Hannah turned to Harlow.
"Seriously Harlow? Why didn't you tell me? What happened to we don't keep secrets?" Hannah asked turning to Harlow visibly upset.
" Hannah I'm sorry. I didn't know you didn't know." Harlow explained. Hannah huffed and walked away. "Hannah wait.." Harlow said but Hannah was already gone.
*End Of Flashback*