Art Competition AU

Hi everyone! Thanks for 24.7K reads! This chapter is dedicated to @fairytalescript for giving me the idea!

 It was a typical Thursday afternoon, and I was sitting on my favorite park bench, idly trailing my pencil across the open page of my sketchbook. Inspiration hadn't struck me just yet for what to do next with my drawing, and I was just relaxing, listening to music, and waiting for it to come to me.

I had decided, two weeks ago, to draw, in detail, the city that was right in front of me. San Francisco was gorgeous if you really took the time to look at it. But the drawing was missing something- I just didn't know what it was yet.

Stretching my arms out and yawning, I took a look around at the empty park. Well, almost empty. A few yards away stood a tall, blond boy, who immediately stopped staring at me as I caught his eye.

Mentally deciding that inspiration wasn't going to come right now anyway, I shut my sketchbook and stuffed it into my backpack. I was going to talk to the mysterious boy, just for the reason that I didn't really have anything better to do. And who knows what could happen?

"Hey!" I said, walking over to him. He blinked in surprise.

"Hi?" the boy said the word like a question. I usually hated it when people did that, but on him, I found it kind of endearing.

"This park's usually empty. What brings you here?" I asked, trying to keep it conversational. I usually was shy, but something about this boy made me want to talk to him. I guess I always liked a good mystery.

"I moved here a week ago. I guess I'm just looking around."

"Well, San Francisco is an amazing city. There's so much history and just so much to do here." I replied earnestly. Whenever I started talking about my hometown, I immediately became way more animated.

"Yeah, I can tell I'm going to like it here. Not as much as LA, but still," he replied, clearly looking homesick at the mention of what I was guessing was his old town.

"Well, I'm Nico, by the way,"

"I'm Will. Will Solace."

I stifled a laugh. Even this guy's name sounded sunny. Everything about him radiated warmth, from his tanned skin to his warm hometown.

"What school are you going to in the fall?" I asked, hoping that it would be Goode High, which was my school. Junior year would be very fun with this guy around, I could tell.

"Goode. Have you heard of it?"

"I go there too!" I exclaimed, excited, but trying to keep myself from squealing. I didn't know why I was so happy about some stranger attending the same school as me. But there was something different about Will. I could tell that he would be somebody important.

"Are you in their art program? I don't want to pry but I saw your sketch. It was really good." Will blushed, though I wasn't sure why.

"Actually, I'm not. Thanks though." I replied, trying to be gracious. My artwork wasn't anything special. There were many more talented kids at my school.

Will glanced at his watch.

"I'm so sorry, I have to go. It was really good to meet you!" he said, turning away.

"See you!" I said, desperately hoping that my words were true.

---

Two days later, I was sitting on my favorite park bench again, hoping that today would be the day that inspiration struck. I was also hoping for something else. That Will would be back today.