Hair

Hi everyone! Sorry for the late update. IN THIS ONESHOT, I'M GOING TO BREAK THE FOURTH WALL A LITTLE, SO BE WARNED!

I ran a thin coral-colored comb through my vivid purple, blue, and pink hair. It was the pride of my appearance- literally. In this universe, one's hair was the color of their sexuality. Since my hair is purple, pink, and blue, it means that I'm bisexual. In this world, homosexuality and all kinds of gender identities are accepted. Mostly. I'm just grateful that mine is.

    As I artfully styled my hair, my mind wandered to my crush, and friend, Nico di Angelo. His hair was much different than anyone else I had known. It was jet black, with no other colors intermingled throughout. That didn't look like any pride flag that I knew- or that anyone else did. Nico's hair was a mystery that had been talked about for the past six years, since everyone's hair color changed when they turned twelve.

    I had asked him about it once before. He had cut me off quickly with a glare and then I learned to never speak about it again. I guess I would just have to settle for wondering.

    I glanced at my phone to make sure that I wasn't running late for school. Swearing under my breath, I raced towards my high school, which was only a block away from my apartment. Panting, I ran towards my homeroom, waving at my friends Austin and Piper as I entered the room.

    "Hey Will," Austin greeted me as I sat down, still out of breath. "Why are you late? Styling your hair again?'

    "Shut up!"

    "Will, we know it's true," Piper remarked, laughing. "You put way too much effort and time into your hair."

    "My hair is so nice and colorful," I said, noting her black and white striped hair. "How can I not be totally obsessed?"

    "I feel you, bro," Austin agreed, twirling a lock of his semi-long rainbow-colored hair. "I love my hair. The straight people lost out on this one."

    'You know who else lost out?" Piper asked, furtively glancing at Nico. "Nico."

    "It is crazy how his hair is completely black."

    "Will! I have a great idea!" Austin exclaimed, nearly jumping out of his seat. "You should ask him about it!"

    "Why would I ever want to do that?'

    "That's actually not a bad idea," Piper remarked, mulling it over. "A lot of time has passed He might tell you."

    "Absolutely not."

    "It could be a great opening to your relationship," Austin noted, pulling out a pencil. "You could maybe even ask him out after he reveals his sexuality."

    "Come on Will, you have to do this!"

    "I thought you were a daredevil and all of that stuff! Where's that Will now?"

    "Being sane," I retorted, a glimmer in my eye. Honestly, I would be fine with it. It's not like I had any chance with Nico, one of my friends. "You know what, being sane is stupid. I'll go for it."

                        ---

    Three periods later, I stood outside my History classroom, my heart beating in anticipation for what was about to occur. History and Science were the only classes I had with Nico, so this was one of my only chances to ask him why his hair was black. Now would probably be the best time to do it, since we always waited outside the classroom since the teacher was always late.

    I watched him approach the classroom, saying goodbye to his friend Percy as they parted. Buzzing with nerves, I moved closer to him, a what the hell attitude taking over me.