Someone Gets Hurt

Hi everyone! Sorry for not updating in FOREVER. But I have good news: since summer is coming up, I'll be updating way more. Probably 2-3 times a week. So that's gonna make up for all the missed updates this year. Anyway, thanks for 1.8K views! Idk if I've said this before, but my goal is to get to 2,000 reads by the end of the summer. I think we can make it! This one-shot is in Will's POV, and it's based on the song above. I hope you enjoy!

 "I've told you a million times, Will," my friend Leo reminded me. "You have a shot with Nico. He's gay, you're bi, you guys have obvious chemistry... what more do you need?"

"Try someone who isn't toxic and will make the relationship crash and burn," I laughed sardonically, trying not to reveal how true the words really were.

"Don't be so hard on yourself," my other friend, Percy, reprimanded me. "You've been in one relationship, and you're sixteen. Give yourself a break."

"Yeah, you weren't the toxic one, Drew was," Leo eagerly put in, leaning forward.

They didn't know what had happened during my painful breakup with the most popular girl in school, Drew Tanaka. She had shown me the truth about myself- I was too selfish to be in a real relationship. This quality had forced her to cheat on me, and it was all my fault. I wasn't good enough.

"That's not true," I answered, knowing what their responses would be. "If I had been a better boyfriend, she wouldn't have felt the need to cheat on me."

"That's ridiculous, and you know it," Percy said, irritation lacing his voice.

"Is that the crap she told you?" Leo asked, surprised. "She cheated because she's a bad person, not because of you."

"No, I just know it was my fault. Even if Drew hadn't said anything, I still would've known. It's the truth- every relation I'll be in- someone will get hurt. That's just who I am."

"Enough with the pity party," Percy chimed in. "You've got a massive crush on him, so you should ask him out."

"Plus, he likes you back. It's so obvious, honestly."
"It really is," Percy agreed, laughing. "Now go and ask him out, or we'll do it."

"You'd never," I grinned. "You guys don't have the guts."

As they laughed and argued that they did, I zoned out, remembering all the ways I wasn't there for Drew. I knew that I deserved every harsh word she sent my way- she was just trying to help me out for the future. And that was why I couldn't ask Nico out- I would ruin him. He would get hurt. And I couldn't have that happen again.

---

Familiar giggled echoed throughout the otherwise empty and quiet hallway of my high school. I lurked in the corridor, poking my head out to see where the laughter was coming from. As my eyes traveled down the walkway, I caught sight of Percy and Leo holding a piece of paper secretively, near a locker.

"Dear Nico," Percy began, grinning. "Please meet me at the Half-Blood Cafe after school- it's important."

"Love, Hazel," Leo finished.

As I listened to their conversation, it suddenly dawned upon me what they were doing. They had typed a note to Nico, claiming to be his sister. They would probably make me go to the Half-Blood Cafe after school today.

"I can't believe we thought of such a smart idea," Percy said, sticking the note through one of the ventilation slots in Nico's locker. "Will is gonna be so grateful."

"Yeah. We're finally taking the first step that he couldn't."

I rolled my eyes and sighed quietly- I couldn't believe that they had the audacity to do something this stupid. We were sophomores, and we were supposed to be more knowledgeable about this kind of thing. This whole event was giving me unwelcome flashbacks to middle school.