Dream Come True (Dance Class AU)

Hi everyone! Thanks so much for 21.8K reads! The song above is Sara Ramirez performing The Story, and it's really good! 

 It was the first day of my sophomore year, and I was sitting on the bleachers of the crowded gym, waiting to choose my gym class. Goode High School had a system where we could choose which type of gym class we wanted to take. There were a ton of options, like Team Games, Volleyball, Yoga, Dance, and many more.

"Do you all want to take volleyball together? I heard it's really fun," my younger sister, Hazel, asked.

"It's fun, but I heard that it's really hard to find a spot since they run out really quickly," my other friend, Percy, replied.

"Well, we can try to get in line as fast as possible," I shrugged, indifferent. I wasn't really the most athletic person, so I just wanted to get a class where it was low pressure.

"All right!" Coach Hedge blew his whistle, and all the conversation in the gym came to a sudden halt. "Juniors have Health, so you aren't signing up for anything. Freshmen, you can go and sign up now."

Hazel got up and scurried to the volleyball table. After a few moments of waiting in line, she triumphantly signed her name on the list of people taking volleyball.

"I wish I could take volleyball with Hazel," Frank Zhang, my other friend, who unfortunately had Health, said.

Just as Percy was about to say something, Coach Hedge blew his whistle again.

"Seniors!" he motioned for them to get up.

"Oh no, we're last, " I groaned. "None of the good classes will be left for us."

"This sucks," Percy agreed.

"And last but not least, sophomores!"

Percy and I raced to the volleyball table, which was already extremely crowded. We fought to get a good place in line, and I lost Percy somewhere along the way.

Coach Hedge blew his whistle again.

"Volleyball is full! You can try taking Dance instead!"

Dance? I was the least graceful person anyone would ever meet. Well, at least Percy would be in this with me.

I walked over to the dance table, still looking for Percy. As I signed my name next to the few others, I finally met Percy's eyes, which were filled with apologies. He was writing his name on the volleyball list.

Great. I guess I was going to have to take the lamest gym class alone. I just hoped the rest of my sophomore year wouldn't be like this.

---

Day Two of Sophomore year and I was waiting outside my school's dance studio, five minutes early for the class. A couple of other kids were standing outside the door as well, but I didn't know any of them well enough to start a conversation. This was going to be awkward.

"Alright, kids, I'm Mr. D, and I will be your dance teacher this semester," a potbellied middle-aged man sauntered up to the room, reeking of something that smelled suspiciously like wine. "Come on in."

"First day and he's already hungover?" a blond kid asked me.

"Not a good way to start the semester," I agreed.

We headed into the dance studio, which had a floor to ceiling mirror that covered an entire wall. There was what seemed like a ballet barre by the wall, and I sincerely hoped that I wouldn't have to wear tights for this class. There was a piano in another corner of the room, but other than that, the studio was pretty bare.