Love-Hate

This chapter is dedicated to @PiscesG1rl, cause it's her birthday (HAPPY BIRTHDAY!). This is based on my life and my intense ships at school. Maaany references ahead.

 "What did you write for the short answer question?" my best friend, Hazel, asked anxiously. I peered at her over the mound of binders and textbooks I was carrying. "I didn't get to finish!"

"I finished," I replied, pushing past a ninth grader who looked like he was four feet tall. We both waved at our friend Annabeth who was heading to science class. "But I didn't add a quote to my response."

"That's not good," Hazel stated, pushing up her glasses. "I'm sure you did fine though."

"I think I failed," I told her, stressing already. "And Will said I was a 'goody two shoes' before class started."

"You know he only says that because he likes you," Hazel interpreted, sagely giving her so-called "expert opinion" on the matter. Hazel thought she was amazing at giving love advice, but sometimes it bordered on insane. She had once even told me to sit on Will's lap! "YOU SHOULD ASK HIM OUT!"

"Bro," I began, rolling my eyes as I held the door open for my friend. "Remember last year? I ignored him. He thinks I hate him. Which I kind of do."

"Nico," Hazel chided me, setting her books down on the desk behind me. "Both of you are masking your feelings through insults!"

"Really?" I snorted, taking out my planner to copy down the Spanish homework. I laughed to myself as I realized that there was never any Spanish homework. "He insults me all the time! Should I list them all? He even took me out of the group chat!"

"Boys," Hazel rolled her eyes, popping a grape into her mouth. I rolled my eyes back at her, laughing at her addiction to eating during class. "Can't you just write him a letter confessing your feelings to him?"

"What is this, To All the Boys I've Loved Before?" I asked, sighing as I discreetly stole a grape from Hazel and ate it before she could see. "No letters, no asking him out, and absolutely NO FLIRTING!"

"Nico!" Hazel exclaimed as if she had forgotten something. She waved her arms frantically, all the while laughing hysterically. She was one of those people who laughed often, for no reason. "OMG! I forgot to tell you!"

"Tell me what?"

"He's leaving the school for senior year!" she proclaimed, copying down notes from the board. "He got accepted to this really prestigious art school!"

"What?" I spluttered, my heart racing in disbelief. I stole a glance at Will, who happened to be drawing instead of taking notes. "No!"

"Yes!" Hazel squealed, her expression urgent. "Which is why you have to ask him out before it's too late."

"No," I slowly said, staring straight into her eyes. The teacher half-heartedly shushed us and began singing in Spanish. "He doesn't even like me back!"

"Oh my god," Hazel whispered, rolling her eyes. "Should I give you a year's worth of concrete evidence?"

"Hazel, she's singing again!" I told her, eyeing the slightly insane teacher with worry. "Also, I'm pretty sure he likes Piper McLean."

"Piper?" Hazel laughed. "Why?"

"They have all their classes together..." I began, sighing gratefully as our teacher ceased her belting. "And they're always texting each other!"

"Well Nico, that was a real nice declaration," Hazel quoted, referencing her favorite musical, Hamilton. I rolled my eyes and peeked at Will, who was currently talking to Piper. "But he totally doesn't like Piper!"