School AU

AU where Nico is unpopular and bullied, while Will is super popular. All the girls try to flirt with Will, but he doesn't return their affections. Enjoy!

 "Get out of my way, Death Breath,"

"Watch it, goth!"

"Hey!"

I stuck to the right of the hallway, skimming against the large metal lockers. The best way to keep them from talking to me was to stay away. Fighting back or just ignoring them wasn't going to work anymore.

My cheap earbuds had fallen off ages ago when someone shoved me down the hallway. The four minutes between classes were even more unbearable than the classes themselves. At least everyone was relatively quiet while the teacher was talking. Not completely silent though; we're high school kids- what do you expect?

I speed-walked down the remainder of the hallway, so I wouldn't run into anyone who particularly hated me. I didn't understand why I was so disliked. I had never done anything to anyone. Maybe it was the way I dressed or acted, or how I was openly gay. Probably the latter. It's 2019 guys, open your eyes! Not everyone is straight, and that's normal!

Just two more periods until I was free. Not only that, but I had made plans to go out with Will this afternoon, and I needed it today more than ever. Something about spending time with Will made all my problems melt away.

Just as Will had crossed my mind, I saw him sauntering down the hallway, a crowd of people around him. He managed to balance twelve conversations at once, greeting everyone with an easygoing smile. His blond hair shone in the harsh lights of the school, and his azure eyes sparkled.

Somehow, Will had an effortless charm, shining personality, and endless popularity. He was the "golden boy" of our school, the cliche good guy in romance novels. He even played football and guitar! I couldn't imagine stepping into his shoes- it seems like a lot of work to be popular. He always had to give other people his attention, and he rarely ever got a moment alone.

The only time he truly seemed focused was when we were together. The only problem was, Will wasn't out to anyone except for his family, and me, of course. The fact that he was bisexual left a black mark on his otherwise perfect reputation. Or so everyone thought. So we couldn't hang out at school. Ever. Why would a golden boy ever want to talk to someone nicknamed "Death Breath"?

I glanced over at Will, hoping to catch his eye. Instead, I saw Drew Tanaka and Rachel Dare each clinging onto one of Will's arms, dewy expressions on their eyes. By the way their lips shone from way too many coats of lip gloss, and their exaggerated laughter after Will's every word, it wasn't hard to tell that they were flirting. Hard.

Jealousy clouded my brain, before I pushed it away, reminding myself that this happened every day. Will couldn't control what others did, and neither could I. It wasn't harming him in any way, so he couldn't do anything about it. I could tell by the way Will's smile became increasingly forced, or as the shine in his eyes was replaced by annoyance, that Will would have loved to shake the girls off his arms. As long as Will didn't reciprocate their actions, it was okay. Or at least that's what I kept telling myself.

I arrived at the door of my Science classroom, seconds before the bell rang. I had spent too much time staring at Will, again. I quickly slid into my seat in the back corner of the room and began to copy down the homework. Chatter broke out around me, and I felt like an island of quiet in an ocean of chaos. Only a year left of high school. Then I could be out of this place and in college in New Rome, California.

I knew that if Will didn't have a reputation to protect, he would be out of the closet by now. It wasn't fair that our relationship wasn't public just because Will wanted to save face. But I knew that it was Will's decision about when he wanted to come out, or if he wanted to remain in the closet throughout high school. It wasn't my choice, and I certainly couldn't make it for him.

I knew what it felt like to be outed by someone you trust. A year ago I was best friends with Percy Jackson, another popular football player in Will's posse. I had shyly come out to him, even going so far as to admit that I had had a crush on him. He had been supportive when I came out, even saying that it was okay that I had liked him.

The next day, I noticed people giggling at the sight of me, even whispering telltale words like "gay" and "liked his own best friend". I spent the whole day searching for Percy- and answers. That was the day he became truly part of Will's circle. He pretended that he didn't know me, and avoided me for the rest of the day. The days became weeks, which became months, and now it's been a year.

I open my laptop and begin to fill out a questionnaire on the previous night's homework. My mind wanders once again to my relationship with Will. I knew that if I was a female, Will and I would be out as a couple to the whole school. We would hold hands, even kiss in the hallway. I could act like I knew my boyfriend, instead of pretending that I only noticed him from afar. If our relationship was public, maybe Drew and Rachel wouldn't openly flirt with my boyfriend. Maybe people would stop bullying me. But we don't live in a perfect world.

---

I walked out of the school, the miserable day finally over. My heavy black backpack weighed down on me, almost as big as my small frame. I pushed my way out of the crowd heading in the direction of downtown and instead made my way to the parking lot. Will and I had agreed to meet each other in his car.

I found his silver Toyota and shrugged off my backpack. I plopped down on the hood of his beat-up car and fished out another pair of headphones from the depths of my backpack. I opened up Spotify and began to play Nicotine by Panic! At The Disco.

Maybe I was a goth. My all black attire certainly gave that impression. So did my taste in music. And the smudges of black eyeliner on my pale face screamed emo. It was funny how two opposites could be so in love. Opposites attract really is true.

I was so engrossed in the music that I didn't notice Will standing in front of me, saying my name. I looked up, removing my headphones and staring into his ocean eyes. His whole friend group was standing behind him, staring at me, unmoving.

Finally, Piper McLean broke the silence. "What are you doing on Will's car?"

"Nothing," I whispered, scrambling off the car.

"It's okay," Will said, leaning in.

My eyes went wide with shock before Will gave me a movie worthy kiss. My eyes immediately shut as I wrapped my arms around my boyfriend. Silence fell over everyone in the parking lot as they watched us kiss. I won't lie, we may have extended the kiss just to shock Will's homophobic friends.

At that moment, I didn't mind waiting for Will to be ready to come out. This kiss had been worth the wait.

Sorry for the lack of update last weekend! Also sorry that this wasn't a Christmas special. I was having a lot of trouble writing that so I just trashed the idea. See ya next week!