Chapter 9 - - Patton

Logan accompanied me home as I hadn't being paying attention on the way to school and would've gotten totally lost without him. We talked about loads of things - well, I talked about loads of things, Logan listened and mentioned random facts and input on what I was talking about. I think he was warming up to me as he'd started to get less annoyed and confused at my puns and talked about more personal things.

I was so grateful he was my soulmate. No romance, just friendship. I couldn't be happier with my situation. Suddenly all my worries from before had melted away into a pile of mush.

Unlocking the door, I entered my house and called out to my mum, "I'm home!"

I heard a reply from the living room, so I walked in to see her sitting on the sofa.

"How was your day, honey?" she asked, sitting up straighter.

"It was great! I made some new friends, and," I cut off halfway and pulled down my trousers.

"What in the name of Meryl Streep are you doing, Patton! " she yelped, then realised my mark had gone. A hand clapped over her mouth. She knew how much I dreaded finding my soulmate. There had been many late-night teary talks about the subject.

"Who is it," she asked in a low voice, lowering her hand from her mouth.

"His name is Logan. Can I ask you a question? Well, another one. Logan's technicality is rubbing off on me."

"Shoot, kiddo," she smiled.

"Are soulmates allowed to be platonic?"

She did a sort of smile/frown and answered, "I should think so. I suppose you're destined to love each other, but the kind of love is up to you."

"Thanks, mum," I beamed. From that question alone she could tell Logan and I had come to some form of agreement, and it was only natural for her to be curious. After all, who wouldn't? We were the only soulmates I'd heard of who weren't in a romantic relationship.

"So... spill the tea," mum grinned, leaning over the arm of the sofa.

"Logan didn't want a relationship either, so we're friends and will see where it takes us," I spilt, then pulled my trousers back up.

"Wig," she replied.

"But really, Patton, I'm so proud of you. You've handled this so maturely and I couldn't be prouder," she smiled, standing up and bringing me into a warm hug.

"I wasn't all that mature," I laughed into her shoulder, "When I found out I ran away and cried."

Mum laughed at that and rubbed my back in circles comfortingly.

When we pulled away, she grabbed her phone and exclaimed, "In celebration of my amazing son finding an amazing friend, let's get takeout tonight!"

We ordered pizzas. I had the vegetarian special (I had been trying a veggie diet), she had a Hawaiian pizza and we shared a stick of garlic bread. We sat on the sofa under a blanket and watched The Wizard of Oz with a bowl of sugary popcorn.

We called it a night when the movie finished and I walked up to my room.
Throwing my phone down on my duvet, I took pyjamas out of my wardrobe and changed, looking down at my thigh only marked by freckled and smiling slightly.

I turned out my lights and hopped into bed, grabbing my phone and pulling up the duvet.

Scrolling though Instagram, I noticed Logan appeared on people I was recommended to follow. I requested to follow him and turned off my phone, placing it on my side table. Then it buzzed. I grabbed it and saw Logan had accepted my request in record time. His profile consisted purely of different jars of Crofters, which I thought was a bit odd.

I'll ask him about it tomorrow.