Chapter 24 - - Roman

It had been a week since the last Thursday you were here with us, and our interviews had been completed, I personally thought mine went rather well. They said they'd get back to us within the week, so we were nervously waiting for their email. In the meantime, Janus had been teaching us basic skills you need when living alone, like how to pay rent and keep everything organised.

It was all really useful, and though I felt sad having been kicked out, I was so glad this family picked me up, especially seeing as it meant I could live with Virgil. Spending time with my boyfriend was one of the best things that had ever happened to me.

"We have an email!" a voice yelled from downstairs as Virgil and I were messing each others faces up with makeup. We cheered and raced down the stairs to see what the verdict on one of the jobs was.

Surprisingly, all of them had got back to us and Janus was messing with us by saying we had one. All of them were positive, which was amazing! They gave us when we'd start and what times we'd be working, in accordance with how much a teenager is allowed to work.

~~~ would she be so lazy? ~~~~~

A few weeks passed and we gradually moved into our new apartment, Janus supplying us with some basic items that we'd need before our first shop and helped us take in the boxes.

I went home and argued with my dad about clearing out my room and won, packing up every personal item into boxes as my dad glared at me from the corner, occasionally throwing slurs my way which I ignored gracefully.

Remus helped us get the boxes home with his car, which smelled suspiciously like shit. It was then I realised I'd never got Remus' pronouns.

I leaned forward in my seat and tapped Remus on the shoulder.

"What are your pronouns?" I asked politely.

"Yes," was all he(she/they?) said.

"Moustache dad doesn't care about pronouns, so you can go crazy with them to confuse other people," Virgil explained. I nodded as though that concept made sense to me (spoiler: it didn't).

We pulled up at the apartment and hauled in my boxes. There were a lot as I liked clutter, which Virgil was cursing me for.

Our room was large and had a double bed, so I suppose we were sharing. I didn't have any issue with this, and it seemed Virgil didn't either, so it was all good.

The front door of the apartment lead into the living room, which had slightly stained carpets, a rug, a sofa and armchair and a medium-sized TV. On the far wall was a door which lead to the kitchen and a serving hatch, which had some barstools at it to eat at. The kitchen itself had a few counters, an oven, a fridge/freezer, a sink and a few overhead cupboards.

The colour theme of this apartment were shades of blue and red which were visually appealing.

You don't really need to know what the bathroom looked like.

Virgil and I grinned at each other - we had our own apartment! Officially ours, and maybe slightly Janus' if we don't pay rent on time. Janus had asked us if we wanted a moving in party, which was a big no from Virgil, so we invited Patton, Logan, Amelia and her girlfriend over.

We had a few hours until they were to arrive and Remus had left, leaving us two in our new apartment.

We'd just got payed by our jobs, so we had a bit of money to ~splurge~ on essential foody bits and other important things. Luckily, there was a supermarket just down the block from us, so we walked down to get some bits.

"Do we need celery?" asked Virgil.

"Why would we need celery."

"But... what if we wanted to use it? And then we remember we don't have any and can't," he tried to reason.

"Virge, if we did that then we'd buy everything in the shop. Let's stick to Janus' list, for now," I responded, trying to bring reason to the conversation. He put the celery back with a sigh, and we continued down the vegetable aisle.

Overall, I think our shopping trip went pretty well. Virgil kept supplying me with 'what ifs' on buying certain things, and I only caved in at the 5 pints of ice cream. So I guess now our freezer will just be filled with Ben and Jerry's, which is not a bad thing.

We hauled the bags up the stairs to our apartment, which wasn't an easy task. They were heavy and plentiful, which meant it took many trips and. a long time to get up the stairs.

When the bags were unpacked, we flopped down on the sofa and gave a long sigh.

"So now we're like, independant," I grinned at Virgil.

"Yep! And that means I can do this-" he kissed me "-any time I want and no one might walk in!"

I rolled my eyes, then I kissed him back and eventually, he was lying under me as we kissed.

Then the buzzer rang.

"Oh shit guests," I exclaimed, trying to un-ruffle my hair and shirt as I ran to answer the door. Virgil stood behind me trying to look innocently unruffled as they congratulated us on our new home.

We decided on watching a movie on Netflix, Patton and Logan on the sofa, Virgil on my lap on the arm chair and Ameila and Alice on the beanbag together. Virgil has his legs draped over the armrest and was occasionally kicking Logan's arm, which was rested on the sofa armrest.

When I noticed tension in Logan's jaw I started poking Virgil until he stopped kicking.

"I think we have doriotos in the kitchen, could you go grab them?" I asked Virgil, and he nodded to go get them. The Half of It was what we eventually watched, each with a bowl of doriotos.

"How are your jobs going?" asked Patton in a dull bit of the movie.

"Quite good, actually. I work mornings in the stationary shop before school because it's just down the road, and everyone there is so nice. And at warm hug they give me free cookies, but of course Patton, you know that," I answered. I was Patton's cookie dealer.

Virgil answered in a similar manner, except he was able to tell the story of a customer at the cinema throwing a drink at him when they found it too expensive. That wasn't fun to try get out the clothes and his hair later.

At 6,we ordered pizza with Amelia's money (she's rich too) and ate them while talking about gay shit, you know?

Speaking of gay shit, apparently Patton and Logan had tried to kiss to see what would happen but noped out and hated it, which I didn't understand but could support. To each their own.

Amelia and Alice acted cute on the beanbag sharing a pizza and wiping tomato sauce on each others noses as they giggled. Their pizza didn't have any cheese, so they made up for it with loads of toppings.

OH, by the way, my 'friends' all ditched me when my dad kicked me out for being gay, so now this was my friend group, and honestly I couldn't ask for anything more.

Virgil had work at Starbucks in 20 minutes, so he rushed off to get his uniform on then ran out the apartment, kissing me on the cheek on the way out.

"We have ice cream!" I cheered, the ran over to the freezer, thanking Virgil silently for making me get them. Alice sat it out, because she was lactose intolerant, but the rest of us sat with bowls of ice cream.

Alice was salty and raided the cupboards instead, where she found some oreos and sat eating them instead. I was about to say they were good dipped in milk then caught myself.

After a while, the others left and I was left to clean up and wash up afther them, until Virgil came back and I asked him to help. He obliged and told me about how work had gone.

"Caroline has been teaching me how to make all the different drinks, because at the moment I'm just taking orders and serving rather than making them. It's pretty easy, and by next week I think I'll be able to start making them," he explained excitedly.

"I'll make sure to come in and order something very over the top," I grinned, knowing the stress of trying to write down all the ingredients from my time at Warm Hug.

"Just try it, Royman," Virgil challenged.

"Oh it's on, Vigil," I laughed.

I loved Virgil.