Chapter 8 - - Roman

I'd asked Dr Gloom on a date. A date. Who knew I had such game? He seemed unsettled by my advances so I decided to take it slower, but that didn't stop me from arranging to meet with him at 4 at the local Starbucks.

I shot my dad a text saying I was going to hang out with a friend after school and his reply was 'k'. Ouch.

School dragged on until last period, which was drama. It would be an understatement to say I loved drama. At the moment we were working on the play 'hard to swallow', which was very serious. It was a good lesson and I managed to work on my characterisation, but I couldn't give it my full attention.

My mind was racing with ice breakers and conversation starters for the date that afternoon. At one point, instead of my line I said, "So what's you favourite colour?"

That earned me a confused look from the teacher.

Eventually drama ended and we were let out of school. I wandered over to my locker and checked myself out in the mirror on the inside of the door, running my fingers through my hair and then readjusting my jacket. Then rereadjusting my jacket.

"You're being more vain than usual, what's going on?" The voice of Amelia sniped behind me.

"I-" *pause for dramatic effect "-have a date!" I announced to her.

"So you found your soulmate, finally?" she queried, fixing my hair from the mess my hands had created when I brushed them through it.

"Yes! And it will be very romantic," I stated dramatically. She snorted and left, noticing her girlfriend across the hallway.

"Alice, wait up!"

I left the school grounds and waited for Henry, until I realised he wouldn't be here to pick me up as my father had probably told him I already have plans. Walking over to Starbucks, I saw the two boys Virgil had been sitting with walking home with each other. Perhaps they were a couple! They looked like they would make a cute couple.

The street with Starbucks was called 'the avenue', which was a very creative name. I'm kidding. What kind of a name was The Avenue?

These were the thoughts I used to distract myself from the impending doom which was the date with a very cute boy.

I walked through the doors and walked over to the counter. It was too early for Virgil to already be here so I ordered my (very extra) drink. They spelled my name 'Royman' which I laughed at and sent a picture of to my friends. Now it was time to pick our table. I chose a window seat so I could see when Virgil arrived, and I could already see him walking towards the cafe.

His head was down, focused on the pavement in front of him. Earphone wires dangled out from underneath his hoodie. I wondered what kind of music he liked.

The door opened and Storm Emo blew in. That wasn't my best nickname, but I couldn't think straight with Virgil in the room. He ordered his drink and looked around, so I waved him over and greeted him with the classic, "I beat you here."

"I wasn't aware it was a race, otherwise i wouldn't have stopped to kiss all those other boys," he grinned back. Ok. Wow. This was new. Did he just?

As you can tell, my brain had a hard time comprehending this.

"Who are you and what have you done with Virgil?" I asked in mock alarm. He smiled slightly and looked down at his drink. It had 'Vigil' written on it, so I showed him my 'Royman', which earned a laugh from him.

I was so glad I was able to make him laugh. He'd seemed so guarded earlier, I wonder what changed his mind? I pushed that to the back of my mind and asked, "What did you order?"

"Just a black coffee," he said, taking a sip and wincing as it burnt his tongue.
There was a silence after that which seemed to drag on for eons before Virgil broke the silence with, "This is so weird."

"How come? We're soulmates, it makes sense for us to be on a date," I explained, thinking it was pretty obvious.

"No, I mean we don't know each other at all, and we're just expected to love each other?"

"That's why we're on a date, to get to know each other," I stated in a reasonable tone. He sighed in a defeated manner and nodded.

"So tell me, J.Delightful, what is your favourite colour?" I asked.

"Black."

"Hate to break it to you, but that's a shade."

"Purple, then. How about you?"

"I haven't really thought about it, but probably red or gold," I answered.

"Living up to your name, Princey," he grinned down into his coffee.

"You gave me a nickname?" I simpered, voice raising about two octaves.

"You don't have to make a big deal out it it," he grumbled, but it was too late. I took a pen out of my bag and crossed out 'Royman', replacing it with 'Princey'. I showed it to him proudly. He made a face which was a mixture of embarrassment and something else I couldn't place.

" S-so anyway, what's your favourite movie?" he asked, immediately taking a large sip of his coffee afterwards.